41-Drama Llama-D3

"It's not what it looks like, okay?"

He looks up, "What is up with you? You were perfectly fine earlier, but at lunch you're being quiet and sneaking off with Charlie."

"Me? I'm the one being sneaky," I scoff, "how about we go talk to miss cheerleader and see who she thinks is sneaky, huh?"

His eyes open wide and he licks his lips, trying to find the words, "She-she didn't know where the uh-cafeteria was. So I helped her."

"That's it?" I raise my eyebrows, "because from what I saw, you were not just being friendly."

He shakes his head, "You we're the one that got mad at me for being jealous. Look at you. You see me talking with another girl and you freak out."

"Yes, Adam. I do freak out," my arms cross and I sigh, "because you're the hot-new-hockey player and she's a pretty cheerleader. It's a perfect fit."

A grin appears on his face, "You think I'm hot?"

My face remains cold, "Not right now."

He drops his grin and his gaze goes back to the ground.

We stand in silence, neither one of us wanting to lose the stand-off going on.

The bell rang and I turn to walk away. His hand grabs my arm before I get too far, "I'm sorry, okay?"

"Yeah, I bet you are," I pull my arm away and turn back around, walking to my locker and then onto class.

••••••••••••••••••••

Two class periods later and we were released for 'athletics' period, which is practice for anyone who plays sports.

Everyone gets changed in the rinky-dink locker room. I was not going to be the bigger person today, so I ignored Adam at every turn.

"Wow, this place is great," Kenny looks out at the rink in awe.

I can see all of the banners hung and the empty stands. The varsity team was practicing on the ice already and I watched them carefully.

They were scrimmaging. The side we were on clearly had the better goalie, not allowing any shots, while the goalie on the other side let two go past him. Their defense was weak, but their offense was amazing. They never gave up on a shot and-

"Ava, let's go," Averman shoves me forward out of my staring. A sharp pain goes up my arm and I wince, but not noticeably.

"I'm going, Averman," I scoff and start walking with the others.

He walks next to me, "You're grouchy and ogling the hockey team, what did Adam do to you?"

"I was not ogling, I was studying," I shrug and look out to the guys again, "And Adam is being a dick."

"What did he do? I thought you guys were so in love," he stares out into space with a sweet smile on his face and his hand up to his heart.

My hand gently shoves his head, "Shut up. I don't want to talk about it right now."

"If it isn't Captain Ducky," one of the varsity people grabs Charlie's jersey and stops him from skating in.

"Get your hands off him," Fulton shoves the guy back.

One of the other varsity guys smiles, "Ooh, look, a Bash Brother, I'm so scared."

Their coach comes up and makes them go away. All of us start skating and I go up to the front with Charlie and Connie.

"How bout it, cowboy. Round up?" Charlie asks Dwayne.

"That's not a good idea, Charlie," I sigh and look at him.