10- The Goonies-Vista Point

Adam had gotten out of the hospital and Bombay had gone to tryout in the minors. It was early May, two weeks until I'd have to leave for California.

School was going by fast. The days turning into weeks. It was hard to ignore Adam at school, but I did my best.

Ive been hanging out with Connie and Charlie a lot. I feel too guilty leaving Adam to hang out with him more. I should, but I'm a chicken. And it's really hard to avoid  him. Our families love doing things together like a ski trip to Vail, Church on Sunday, and random dinners together at fancy restaurants.

Connie and I are on our way to the mall on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. We have our roller blades on and we're going pretty fast, probably too fast. We don't care though, we're too busy giggling at any and everything like all teenage girls.

I look down at my skates just as I hit a bump. I start to tumble but I bump into someone that quickly grabs my arms before I fall. I look up to see Larson with confused eyes staring at me.

"Hey there," I say laughing, "nice catch."

He smiles, "Thanks."

I look at the people around him and I see McGill and another boy I'd never met, "Gross. Bye."

I start to skate away but he catches my arm, "Wait," he says, "About the milkshakes. Is tonight at 7 okay?"

"Oh yeah," I say stunned, "I think I'm open. You know where I live, right?"

He nods, "Yep, see you at 7."

"Bye."

I skate past them and catch up to Connie, who is standing there with her jaw wide open in a smile, "Avalon Carter! Are you going out with Larson?"

I look at her, "Don't tell Adam."

"Why are you worried about me telling Adam? Don't want lover boy to be jealous, now do we?"

I push her shoulder, "Connie, shut up."

"Well what was that about?"

I sigh, "I forgot to tell you that Larson asked me out after the Championship. But I friend zoned him and used Cali as an excuse. I guess he's fine with friends."

Connie loops her arm through mine, "I'm not going to get mad that you didn't tell me, if you will admit that you said no because of Adam."

I was very caught off guard, "Why would I- I mean-"

"Come on Ava, I'm not stupid, and I can't believe you've never told me. I won't be mad at that either if you just admit it."

I bite the inside of my cheek, "I'm sorry Con. You know me too well."

She smiles, "No, you guys are just very obvious. I mean he gives you puppy eyes and you melt. Have you seen yourself?"

"That's not true," I say, even though I know she's right.

Connie shakes her head, "From what I've seen, you two are in looooovveeeeee."

My face goes red. No way. He probably thinks I'm gross. He's seen me throw up and cry and when I'm sick. No one would be in love with that.

"But I'm moving to California. I'll miss out on everything while you guys are in 8th grade here and I'm in 8th grade at a stupid prep school."

Connie shakes her head, "You aren't moving, just a long vacation, okay?"

I get sad, realizing that she's going to find new better friends. And, Adam is going to meet beautiful girls and forget about me.

"Connie I don't want to go," I say, sounding scared, "you're all gonna forget about me."