21-Wheaties-D2

*sorry this is all rushed but I know people want a new chapter and most of this stuff is boring so I'm doing my best♥︎*

Filler

After the sun slowly started to set, everyone surrounded a campfire. The adults had gone to their cabins after we ate, so now it's just us kids. No one was really talking about anything other than hockey. I sat on a log and Adam was on the ground leaning against my leg.

"Iceland is always good. They're the only ones that could possibly beat us." Goldberg said.

I scoffed, "Right now, anyone could beat us. Most of you haven't even picked up a hockey stick in the offseason."

"Sorry we don't all go to a prep school like you." Fulton rolls his eyes. Some people nod in agreement.

"I didn't mean it like that," I start, "and, Charlie seems to be doing better out there and he didn't go to a prep school."

He scoffs and turns away from me. I bite my cheek and Adam looks up at me and shrugs. I knew people would be salty about my training, but I didn't think Fulton would.

Thankfully Connie changes the subject to something about a new music artist and how she would kill to see them perform.

Even though everyone said they missed me, I could see the jealousness everytime I spoke about my time at Vista. The
Only people who seemed to care were Adam and Charlie. Even Connie was uncomfortable talking about it. It made me sad seeing that my best friend didn't seem happy for me.

Everyone went to bed smelling like a campfire, even though all of us had taken showers. It reminded me of California, and the time Miles had walked me back to my dorm. That's when I think I first started liking him.

As a friend, I mean.

The Next Morning
"Ta da!" Tibbles exclaims as he removes a banner from a giant poster. On the poster was a Wheaties box and on the box, a picture of us in our U.S.A. Tracksuits. It must've been a picture Miss McKay took yesterday because I don't remember a photo shoot. None the less, I'm surprised and gasp.

So does everyone else. There are various 'oh my's and 'woah's floating about.

"Hey y'all. That's us!" Dwayne exclaims excitedly. He's got his cowboy hat on and his accent seems to be magnified.

"Duhh whatta ya know?" Fulton mocks. I shove him in the shoulder and scowl at him.

Tibbles clears his throat and continues, "Today it's a Wheaties box. Tomorrow it's video games, lunch boxes, the sky's the limit."

He continues rambling about Hendrix and fame and stuff, but I don't really care until he starts tossing blue jerseys out of the box in the center of the room.

I was sitting by Charlie, who was spaced out in thought. I stood up from the table, "I'll go get ours Charlie."

I get to the box and pick up a jersey that says Carter and another that says Conway. I walk back to the table and see coach standing up and walking away, seemingly impressed by the jersey in his hands.

I hand Charlie his and take a seat. He turns to me, "I don't know how I feel about this. I mean we're the Ducks, not team USA."

"Well Charlie," I shrug, "I guess it's just business. We all are still Ducks, but this is just for Hendrix." I pat him on the shoulder as I stand up.

"Yeah, I just don't like the change." He sighs.

"I know."

"Ancient Greece was the beginning of western civilization. See, in Greece they didn't have professional sports or Wheaties boxes. So the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?" Ms. Mackay was teaching us about Greece. She thought we needed a break from the regular school rooms so we were sitting outside next to the lake that resided near our cabins.

"Falafels?" Goldberg joked. Everyone laughed at the boy.

I was sitting on the ground next to Connie's legs and Luis to my right. I wanted Adam to sit by me but Luis sat down before he could. In the time we've sat by each other though, I've learned that he's actually really funny.

"Pride." Charlie's voice brought my attention back and I listened to Ms. Mackay, "That's right. The various city-states waved their flags proudly."

My eyes wander over to Adam, who's sitting there in peace, listening to Ms. Mackay. A small smiles comes across my face.

Fulton smiles and leans forward, "Did America always dominate?"

Everybody shakes their heads and scoffs except for Dean, "That's a good question."

Ms. Mackay smiles, "No America wasn't around back then. Don't forget that compared to other countries, America's still young, still forming it's own identity. Americas a teenager, just like you."

"Like us?" Jesse questioned.

"You bet," Ms. Mackay smiles again, "a little awkward at times, but always right there on the verge of greatness."

After our lesson, Coach Bombay made us go rollerblading down a very dangerous road. I was very worried for Luis because he couldn't stop out here any better than he could in the rink. I made sure to skate near him in case anything happened.

The First Day of the Goodwill Games

I don't know now to put this lightly, but we're crushing Trinidad. Everyone's having a good time and it's a good game. Except for Jesse, because he just got put in the box for back talking a player and a ref. He has some unresolved anger issues.

I've been having fun, I mean that's what we're meant to do. I am a little homesick though, but I don't know if it's Minnesota or Vista.

"Ava go." I hear, and I put my helmet on and skate out onto the ice. I take left as Adam takes the face off. He wins and skates away with it. Adam passes it to me and I deke and score my first point of the game. Charlie celebrates with me and the final buzzer goes off.

We tell the other team good game and make our way to the locker rooms. Coach talks to us a little bit about the game and then he says we have a press conference in a 30 minutes.

He's been really weird. The second the plane landed in Los Angeles, he was off doing press interviews. I guess it's just apart of the job.

After everyone changed, Ms. Mackay got us all to the area full with reporters and a platform with a lot of microphones. Everyone gets handed a Hendrix hat and Mr. Tibbles starts it off saying various stuff about Hendrix and the team.

He turns the questions over to coach Bombay and he answers a few questions with cheesy answers about teamwork and stuff. I bet all of the reporters are eating it up. A weird bear comes up and everyone snaps pictures.

"We're team USA and we're going all the way."

Everyone cheers and then there's a voice at the entrance, "Team USA's going down, that's where you're going."

Everyone turns and sees the Iceland team in all their Icelandic glory, "See you on the ice, Bombay."

I scowl and look up at Adam, "Thats gonna be one hell of a game, I mean literally. They're huge."

"We're fast, I think we'll put up a pretty good fight." He sighs and watches as they leave the room.

We all step off of the platform and leave a different way than them.

———————————————————————————————————
I'm genuinely sorry for how long it took for this chapter to come out. School started, and I just have softball practice all the time. It's awful.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and some juicy stuff should come nextttt

With love, M