14- Bonfire-VP

June 30th

The days seemed as if they were weeks, and weeks were months. When I sent the letters back home, I received several more in return. One was from Connie, another from Adam, and one from Charlie and some of the other Ducks.

I was always slow getting back to them, but I did, nonetheless. I made sure that every Sunday, if I hadn't answered their letters, I would do it then.

Things between Adam and I were a little better. I started reading his new letters, but I can't bring myself to read the old ones. I don't want to feel any more guilt than I already do.

Another thing, his letters started to be less and less. I was worried I had upset him in one of mine, but I couldn't remember.

Just then, I heard a knock on my door, "You ready yet?"

Ugh Cam, "Yeah give me two minutes."

I opened the door and muttered a hi. He had no problem making himself at home on my bed. The boys came over quite often seeing as though they are my only friends.

I finished brushing through my hair and fixed my blouse and skirt. The same plaid pink skirt I was wearing when Adam had almost revealed his biggest secret.

Move on Ava

I walk out of my bathroom and smile at Cam, "Ready?"

"Yup," he looks stunned. Maybe it's because I've traded my usual sweatpants or shorts for a skirt. I never feel good enough after hockey to dress nice.

There's supposed to be a yearly bonfire that the hockey team does before everyone leaves for the Fourth. Cam said it's fun, so I put my trust in him and we make our way towards the woods.

On the way there, Cam and I talk about what we're doing when we go home, "I think I'll go see my friends. I miss my dog."

"Yeah. I don't have a dog." I sigh.

Cam looks at me in disbelief, "You don't have a dog?"

"Nope," I shook my head and chuckled, "never, ever."

"Well why not?"

I shrug, "I guess we never really had time for one. I mean I'm the only child and my parents are always away for work."

"That's too bad," Cam shakes his head, "a dog is the bestest friend a person could have."

That makes me think of Adam, "That's not true."

"Well do you have someone that will always be there for you? Even when you've done bad things?"

Check, "Yep."

"They love you unconditionally?"

Check, "Yep"

"Would they ever betray you? Because a dog wouldn't."

Check, "Cam, he's the kindest, nicest, most sincere person in the world. He would never do anything to hurt me on purpose." I think.

"Now I want to know who this mystery guy is?" Cam taunts, "oh wait. Is it Adam Banks? Please tell me it is."

I nod my head with a smile, "It is. He's been my best friend since we were born. Nothing, except the move, had ever come between us."