The rainy night in New York

You left me.

Standing alone,

In front of my apartment.

It was raining,

It was cold;

I was,

I was shivering.

But you were not there,

Dragging me to my room.

Pushing me past the door.

Your body warming mine,

Under the bedsheets as we try to hide,

Just like we used to.

I wonder if it was ever true,

Because now my heart is breaking

But New York is never changing.

Jane's note:

You see, it has been a year since I moved to New York. I come from the countryside in the south. I don't know if you have ever felt it but When you move to a different place, you unintentionally start to observe the locals and their way of life. And during that time, you find some of their habits that are very strange to you. And they find some of your habits very strange. The habits which were mundane in your hometown. In my case, it was people's reaction to rain.

I love rain. Where I come from rain is considered a blessing, it alleviates the summer heat and helps the crops to grow. It is a new beginning. But in New York most people hate rain, It is cold and it drenches you and your outfit. Hence whenever it rains people run all-around places trying to find shelter.

I never understood them, for me rain always remained the blessing. It reminded me of the past, my hometown, and my home. So, I used to walk in the rain and all the people would give me those strange eyes as they ran for the cover. Rain was never cold to me, it was warm, and it was gentle.

Until he broke my heart on a rainy night. He texted me that he was standing in front of my apartment. I waved to him with a big smile from my window as soon as I read that. He grew up in New York so he was holding an Umbrella. Due to my habit, I ran down without thinking about rain, I ran down three floors and, in an instant, he was in front of me. I hugged him and he pulled away after a while. And that's when he told me that we do not belong together.

It was the first time Rain felt cold to me.