the civillian and the cat

Chat noir waited around a little longer than he should of... he wanted to talk to Marrinette- to comfort her... but more than that....

Chat noir wanted to kill Lila.

How dare she use Marrinettes name in another one of her twisted lies!
How dare she turn marrinette's friends against her.
How dare she suggest that marrinette was anything other than perfect!

Chat noir wanted to make lila apologise and admit to every lie she'd ever told... and he was going to... well he would of if not for the beep of his ring telling him that he had only a minutes until he detransformed.

Chat pushed himself of the ground and stood up- stretching out his back. Chat limped over to marrinette who was clinging onto a white handkerchief stained red like it was the last ray of light in a world gone dull.

The cat held out his hand infront of marrinette's face, for a moment it was like she was staring right through him, like he was invisible to her- the thought of which gave him chills.

"Marrinette... are you okay?" The idea suddenly dawned on chatnoir that she didnt have the magic suit nor the superhuman durability that he had... he knelt down infront of her, grabbing her face in his hands and looking into her eyes trying to remember the signs of a concussion. "Marrinette?"

She looked up startled- she'd been lost- no. Trapped in her thoughts... in her hollow victory. She hummed a response which didn't sooth chat noir's worries. Chat noir was tracing the outline of all of her injuries with his eyes- like he was internally counting them... or maybe assessing them. Chat brushed a strand of marrinette's hair that clung to her skin with blood, away from her face. "Marrinette are you okay?"

The civilian smiled kindly at the cat, grabbing his hand with hers.

"Yes kitty. I'm fine." She was only partially lying, she knew her body was aching, she knew her throat was closing, that her head was screaming and she was pretty sure that she'd broken at least one of her ribs... but as much as she knew that everything should be hurting... it didn't... it was kind of like when you touch something so cold it feels hot. It was an unsettling relief to marrinette to say the least.

When she thought about it though... everything felt like that... not just her cuts and bruises... everything. When did it get to the point that she felt so alone and so miserable that she couldn't even feel it at all? She was sitting their with chat noir, he was talking to her... but it felt like she was the only one on the planet.

"Did you hear me marrinette? Do you understand?" Chat noir had been saying something but she hadn't been listening. She shook her head in response to his question and he gave a worried sigh as he touched her cheek gently.

"Marrinette. I'm about to detransform- you need to go to the hospital. Do you understand?" Chat noir spoke slowly- clearly convinced that she was in shock or had some sort of concussion and to be honest, marrinette wasn't sure if he was wrong... everything felt like a daze. "Go to the hospital." He repeated and seemed somewhat relieved by the little nod she gave him in reply. Chat noir helped her up to her feet and made sure she was steady before letting go.

He looked at her... he really didn't want to leave her alone but his ring was still beeping and the army of journalists would be arriving any second and he neither wanted to detransform infront of them or make marrinette wait there -as he refuelled his kawami- to be swammed by the media. This was clearly the best choice...

Chat noir wiped away a drop of blood that was rolling down her lip. She stared blankly at him- any other time she would of teased or scolded him for being a flirt. He more than anything wanted to blame it on a concussion but he saw what happened... marrinette had just fought so hard to save everything but she had lost it all anyway... it wasn't fair.

Adrian had always compared ladybug and marrinette- he never meant to- he never thought anyone could compare to HIS ladybug... but over and over again he found himself counting their similarities like stars in the sky. But during that fight... during marrinette's fight... he couldn't compare them and he doubted her ever could again... Because marrinette had just completely outshone ladybug.

It took this moment to realise it... but she always had. The rose colours glasses he wore around his first love were now fading in tint. It was like marrinette had been wearing a mask that had finally been ripped off her and he saw her as more than the nervous little mouse who he had been trying to shelter for as long as he could remember. This city... these people didn't deserve her... she risked everything for them today and gave them everything she had every other day and they still saw her as nothing more than lila's lies.

"Go to the hospital."