A Change for Better or Worse

Our training began in earnest the next day. However, the lessons were rarely combat oriented.

With an emphasis on remembering Commander Erwin's long range scouting formation.

Despite being such a precisely detailed, meticulously calculated formation, Eren Jeager's position was somewhat less than clear.

~•~

"You rookies will be here." Dieter Ness (the man in charge of training the new cadets) started, pointing a stick at a position on the map. "Between the wagon defence squad and the scout support squad. You will run spare horses, as well as relay signals."

Many of the cadets began writing down any notes from the lesson. Armin and Mikasa sat side by side, remembering every little detail along with the rest of the recruits.

~•~

In an open field not too far from the castle, the Levi Squad and Arden Squad were going over preparations for the plan.

Apart from Levi and Arden, the two squads sat huddled around a detailed plan of Erwins long range formation. Everyone was engaged in it, apart from Kain who had taken to pulling the grass out of the dirt.

A few feet away from the group, Levi and Arden stood with the horses.

Levi had his hand raised as his raven black horse happily licked his hand. He looked calm, calmer than Arden had saw him since they met.

She was able to deduce that Levi had a scary passion for cleaning as well as a soft spot for horses. He always just seemed relaxed around them.

Arden wasn't having such a relaxing time with her tawny brown horse Zazel. Zazel was known to be a moody horse, always playing up and throwing tantrums, much like a child. Much like Kain.

As Arden was gently brushing through his chocolate mane, he suddenly jerked backwards with a loud neigh. Flipping his head around, his mane whipped Arden in the face, temporarily shocking her.

Blinking her red eyes, Arden stared at her horse before reaching out for his reigns. Only for Zazel to move out of her reach. "Don't be rude." Arden sighed out as Zazel moved from reach once again.

Levi watched with amusement as the woman struggled to brush her horse. He chuckled quietly to himself before walking over to her, deciding to try and help her out.

"Does he always do this?" Levi questioned as he stopped next to her and the playful horse.

Arden huffed. Though her face didn't show it, Levi could tell she was annoyed. "When he decides to act like a child, yes." She replied.

Nodding his head over to Zazel, Levi asked, "Can I try?"

"You can try, but the moody bastard doesn't like anyone. I doubt you'll--" just as she was about to finish her sentence, Levi effortlessly grabbed Zazel reigns and guided him the few small steps back over to Arden.

Lifting his hand up, the horse happily licked it before neighing in satisfaction.

Arden's blank expression morphed into a playful glare. "Traitor." She muttered to the horse.