Demon Sleep

The mess hall was filled with Scouts, both old and new, happily eating or talking away. There was loud laughter coming from a table filled with new recruits, mostly Erens friends. Another table in the corner sat the higher-ups: Erwin, Levi, Hange, Miche, Moblit.
Then at a table on the opposite side of the hall sat the Elite Squad.

"It's actually really nice here. I'm happy that we got moved to the Scout Regiment, even if it is a little scary." Lydia smiled brightly as she munched away on a piece of bread.

Tobias shyly smiled, "Y-Yeah, me too. I've always wanted to join the Scouts but I chickened out at the choosing ceremony. At least I get to be here now." He recalled the memory. For days afterwards, the group tried their best to comfort Tobias as he cried, hating himself for being 'cowardly'. But a bunch of emotional words and loving support later, he was back to his happy, timid self.

"As we already told you, Toby: it's okay to be scared. Everyone is. At least you pulled through and look at where you are now! The world seems to work in wondrous ways." Lydia giggled as she placed a comforting hand on Tobias' soldier. She was always the sunshine of the group, making sure everyone was okay and happy.

Carlisle scoffed whilst taking a sip of his drink, "Maybe. But it doesn't change the fact that the world is also a shit show."

"Can't argue there!" Kain loudly chirped as he reached over the table to grab the water jug, then refilled his cup. "But imagine how boring the world would be if those Titan bastards didn't exist. What am I supposed to kill then?"

"I think a world without Titans would be wonderful." Tobias spoke as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

Kain choked on the water he was drinking, "Seriously?! I mean, I get that they're a huuuge pain in the ass. But what would you do your research on if there weren't any titans?"

"W-well..." Tobias smiled brightly, his big icy blue eyes sparkling with amazement, "I'd research whatever is beyond the walls. There's hundreds of things out there. Lands we haven't explored, animals we haven't discovered. I'd love to see it one day."

Sighing in frustration, Carlisle nonchalantly folded his arms over his chest, "If it wasn't illegal to look at books with information on what's beyond the walls, then you could just look at them. Instead of going outside."

Lydia giggled playfully whilst choosing to tease the tall, grumpy man, "Ooo~ are you scared to go beyond the Walls, Carlisle?"

Gritting his teeth, he slammed his fist down onto the table, "Ofcourse I'm not! I'm just not an idiot trying to get himself killed."

"Nah! You're just a pussy!" Kain loudly laughed as he punched Carlisle on the arm.

Bad move.

"Come here, you little shit!" Carlisle seethed as he roughly pulled Kain into a choke hold, rubbing at his hair furiously. Kain loudly protested, flailing his arms around as he struggled in Carlisle's grip. It wasn't like they were actually fighting or hurting each other, just playfully bantering.

"A-Arden, is everything alright?" Tobias asked the red eyed woman worriedly. The table halted all movement as they stared at Arden. Carlisle's arm still tightly wrapped around Kain's neck.

Arden had been awfully quiet the whole time, not engaging in their conversation or eating her food. Instead she sat with one elbow propped on the table, her chin resting lazily on her palm. Her eyes were half closed as her whole body screamed for sleep.