Let the Battle Begin

"What are you talking about?" Eren questioned the 2, playing dumb about their ability to shift into Titans.

Bertholdt's eyed widened like saucers as he grabbed Reiner's arm, "Why are you telling him? Reiner, no! Stop--!"

But the blonde ignored his friend, keeping his attention focused on Eren, "--We were on a mission. Our goal was to ensure mankind's extinction. But now, there's no need for that. Eren, if you want the walls to remain standing, it's simple. Just come with Bertholdt and me."

Kain smirked, his eyes sparkling as he whispered aloud, "They want Eren to go with them."

Mikasa's eyes snapped to him, questioning for only a second how the crimson eyed man was able to hear their conversation when she couldn't, but her eyes narrowed. Pushing the thought away, her palms gripped the hilt of her blades tighter.

And noticing the deadly look in her eyes, Kain gripped her arm just a little tighter to stop her from lunging, "Not yet." He warned. Still listening to their conversation.

"Do you understand?" Reiner asked Eren.

The boys eyes widening as his brows furrowed, "Understand? What the hell is there to understand?"

Bertholdt was clearly on edge, sweat beading down his face as he stared in horror when Reiner continued, "Listen to me. I need you to do exactly as I say. Look, I know this is sudden, but we have to go."

"Right now? Where would you take me?" Eren questioned incredulously. Still putting up a good show as if this was the first time he was hearing the news.

"I can't tell you. Not yet. Just think of it as our hometown." Reiner looked away from him, his brows furrowing in deep thought.

Kain internally hummed, intrigued by this. Hange had said that Reiner and Bertholdt haled from the same region as Annie. But that region was behind Wall Maria in Titan territory. There's no way Reiner would be taking him to a destroyed village overrun by Titans. It just didn't make sense. So, just where did the 3 actually come from?

"Okay? So what's it gonna be?" Reiner asked impatiently, moving closer to Eren as he waited for his answer. The brunette letting out a gasp. "Not a bad deal, right? The chance to avert a major crisis?" Reiner pushed further, hoping to persuade Eren.

But Eren shook his head, "I'm not so sure." He mumbled.

Noticing that 5 of their team had stopped, Armin and Sasha turned around. The blonde waving over at them all, "You guys! Get a move on, we're heading out!" He called, before a short, sharp gasp left his lips and his bright ocean blue eyes widened at the sight of Eren talking alone with Reiner and Bertholdt, and Mikasa and Kain's deathly stillness.

Eren, wanting to stick the plan, had to think of something quick. Hange had ordered for them to lure and contain Reiner and Bertholdt under ground before exposing them as co-conspirators for Annie Leonhart. And right now, that plan wasn't working. So he reached out, placing a hand on Reiner's shoulder, "You're just tired. That's it, right? Help me out here, Bertholdt. Your nerves are shot. You don't know what you're saying." Playing the clueless victim.

Bertholdt's eyes sparkled with a chance to get out of the situation, so he quickly agreed with Eren, "Uh. Yeah. It's the battle fatigue talking!"