Darius and Hunter's 3 AM talk

It was early the next morning, long before school started, Hunter didn't sleep well that night. It was one those nights. The nights with the nightmares. They were always horrifying dreams consisting of the end of witch kind, and getting trapped in mind scapes, or dying a horrific death. Hunter would also wake up screaming, shaking, and sweating. One time he screamed so loud that head witch Eberwolf who happened to have been walking by, barged into his room to make sure everything was ok. Once they saw that everything was fine, they just growled at him and left.

It was around 3 AM and Hunter was wandering around the castle in his pajama which were fluffy sweat pants with owls on them, and a t-shirt that advertised the emperor's coven.

Hunter had gotten a message from Edric not long after he had left his house saying that the sleepover was both Friday night and Saturday night, now all Hunter had to do was ask Belos, which wasn't going to be easy.

Hunter headed towards the kitchen, hoping that a late night snack would maybe help him get tired to at least get one hour of sleep. When Hunter walked in there he turned on the light and there as Darius with his back turned to him grabbing something. Darius completely froze when the light flooded the room.

Hunter yawned and asked in a tired raspy voice, "Darius, what are you doing up." Darius turned around slowly, and he had a bug seed cookie in his hand. "Oh well I um...I could ask you the same thing little prince."

Hunter simply shrugged he was way to tired and out of it to argue. "I couldn't sleep, came to get a snack, looks like you had the same problem."

Darius looked offended and scoffed. "I simply cannot be seen in here during the day, it would ruin my outlook if they saw me snacking, so I do it at night." Darius had motioned to the cookie jar, where he had stolen the cookie from.

So that's why the jar is always empty when I want one.

"So why couldn't you sleep?" Darius sat down at the round wooden table in the corner, motioning for Hunter to sit down. When Hunter sat, Darius gave him a cookie, which Hunter happily excepted.

"I had a nightmare." Darius didn't looked surprised. "I figured. With how your life is, I wouldn't be surprised that you have some trauma that presents itself in your dreams. It happens to me to, tho probably not as bad as you. You are a teenager after all." Hunter tried to listen intently. Darius was so smart and always had the right ideas.

"So anyways, how did that apology go?" Hunter was taken a bit off guard from this. "He actually really liked them, I was over their earlier, well technically yesterday and he had them in a nice vase. So he doesn't hate the Golden Guard now."

Darius smiled. "Well I'm happy that things are working out for you." Then a thought can to Darius' mind. "You know the previous Golden Guard, he was my mentor."

Hunter stared wide eyed. "He was mentor, what was he like!!"

Darius laughed, staring up reminiscing admiringly. "Well let's just say he had his fair share of boy troubles too, and well, heh, so did I, so he helped me through the same way I helped you."

Hunter was in complete disbelief. Darius was passing on to him what his ancestor had passed on him. Hunter couldn't help smiling. "That's amazing Darius, I really wish I could have gotten to meet him."

Darius smile faltered a little. "I'm sure you too would have gotten along, he looked a lot like you too, he probably could have taught you much than I could, he would have been a stable father figure for you."

Hunter was confused. "But Belos is a great father figure for me."

Darius sighed and pinched his nose bridge. "I was beginning to think better of you, and I do now, I think you're a lot less of an entitled brat than I previously thought, but you are still quite naive. You are still a kid though." Darius seemed to be talking more to himself now. Hunter tried to stay awake to listen to his mumbling but he was dosing off a bit. Suddenly Hunter spoke, in an adorable sleepy voice, one I'm sure Edric would be completely suspectable to. "Darius...Edric asked me to spend the night Friday and Saturday, but Im scared to ask Belos, I'm not sure how he'll react, I mean i could always bring up my excuse about Luz...I mean the human being there. But yeah she will be there, and she trusts me now, but I'm still scared to ask..." Hunter was completely just trailing off, barely conscious at this point.

Darius smiled. Although he didn't like Hunter most of the time the kid was really starting to grow on him. "Well maybe I could talk to him for you, and bring up all the points you just made, I'm sure he'd listen to me." Darius heard a sound in hallway and looked out but it was just a couple of guards making out. Darius was slightly disgusted at the sight but amused. He loved when unexpected drama would happen at the castle. When he got back to his seat and looked at Hunter, the boy was asleep, he head leaning up on his hand propped up by his elbow. Darius smiled softly and picked up the boy bridal style. Hunter was a reasonable height, but he was surprisingly very light. Darius hoped he was eating enough.

Darius carried Hunter all the way back to his room. He put the boy into his bed carefully trying not to wake him up and put the cover over him. Darius looked over on Hunter's desk and saw Flapjack perched in his nest sleeping. Darius felt a wave a pride wash over him. Hunter was finally stepping up to the emperor.

Darius pulled found a notepad on Hunter's desk and used it to write Hunter a note explaining everything and telling him that he would ask Belos for him and text him what he said. Then a previous note of Hunter's caught Darius' eye. It was notes on how he could use Edric to get the human. Darius shook his head, he really hoped that Hunter didn't go through with that. He didn't think he would though. Based on how much he seemed to care about him, he'll end up coming around in the end and find out he has feelings. Darius laughed slightly. It reminded him of his school days, when the previous guard was helping him through his boy troubles, with another Blight no doubt. Hunter and him were a lot more similar than either would like to admit.

Darius began to walk out and looked at Hunter one last time. He was sleeping peacefully and snoring softly. Darius' heart softened at the sight. And this was the moment that Darius claimed Hunter as his son. He was going to be the father figure to him, like the previous Golden Guard was to himself. Darius closed the door and smiled, knowing that he would now protect that kid with every fiber of his being. His only problem now was having to deal with Raine's constant teasing if they found out. Darius decided thats a problem for another day and headed off to his own room.

Word Count: 1261

I know you were expecting the sleepover chapter next but I wanted to write a part with Dadrius fluff and it would be long to fit both in one chapter so I'm just splitting it up. Next chapter for sure is sleepover tho. I really hope you enjoyed this chapter and let me know what you think.

Also Raine was finally mentioned. Don't worry, they will make an actual appearance at one point.