The Eternal Oath Stands

Edric pushed past Darius to be at the front of shocked faces in the group to see what had just happened. In front of him Hunter stood, shaking Belos's hand, his face gone of all the happiness he had seen in it from when he last saw him. From when he kissed him.

Hunter looked as if all the light in his body had just been drained out of him, leaving him looking grey and dull, like he was some sort of washed out painting. Nobody had any idea what had happened but we all knew it wasn't good.

"Kid, what did you just agree to?" Darius said stepping toward Hunter. Hunter now with the new knowledge of what would happen if he so much as spoke to him backed away, scared to even look at him. Darius stopped, a frown etching on his face. Raine now stepped forward as well.

"Belos, what have you done?" They stared Belos down with a look that could kill. Unfortunately Belos was basically immortal at this point.

"I simply was just reclaiming what was mine. Hunter belongs to me, and me alone. He's my creation. I just reminded him of that. Who his real family is."

Raine looked to Hunter to try and read if what Belos was saying was true, but Hunter only kept his head down, his eyes staring blankly at the floor. Edric stepped forward past Raine who tried to grab him, and stop him from going closer.

Edric made no move to stop, he stepped slowly towards Hunter like he was some sort of animal that would be easily spooked by any sudden movement. Belos stepped back to give the two of them space causing Eda to be very confused. Luz stayed with Eda but was prepared to pull out one of her glyphs at any given moment. The rest of the friends were just as prepared as Luz, readying their magic. King however couldn't take his eyes off of the moon shaped shadow figure in the corner. 

Hunter watched as Edric inched closer to him. Hunter wanted to run, wanted to tell Edric to run away but he knew he couldn't. He couldn't speak to him, he couldn't tell him he loved him. He couldn't even tell him he was sorry. 

So Hunter stood there un-moving as Edric finally reached him and grabbed his hand. Hunter didn't grasp it back but didn't pull away. Edric gave a warm smile. One that conveyed one simple message; I'm here for you. Hunter couldn't except, he couldn't smile back. He finally brought his eyes to meet Edric's. Magenta meeting gold. The sadness that swelled within the pink of Hunter's eyes made Edric's smile falter in confusion, and before he knew it his hand was dropped and his feet were swept out from under him, causing him to fall flat on his back. His eyes closed from impact and when he opened them he was met with staff to his throat. It was Hunter's old Golden Guard staff, not the one Flapjack usually became. Edric looked at Hunter not with betrayal but with confusion. Why was he doing this? 

Emira ran to Edric's side, ready to defend him from Hunter if he needed to. She knew Edric wouldn't strike Hunter, she only hoped Hunter would do the same. Suddenly Hunter pulled the staff back and walked away. He went next to Belos and looked down, dropping dropping his staff to the floor, the sound echoing through the throne room.  Edric sat up and looked at Hunter. He knew something had to be wrong with him. Belos putting a hand on Hunter's shoulder, trying to appear as if he was comforting him, but it only appearing like he was holding him there. His smile only growing. 

"See. Hunter's loyalty lies with me, and me alone. Now run along. Darius, Raine, Eberwolf, I don't expect to see the three of you back in this castle again. As for you children, as expect you have schoolwork to get back to. Don't expect to see Hunter back there again." Hunter had to stop the tears forming in his eyes from dropping. He managed to withhold most of them but a few managed to escape and it didn't go unnoticed. Edric stood up and ran to Hunter. Hunter had to no time to react as the warm feeling of lips grazed his cheek. The feeling felt foreign but familiar at the same time. It made just a little bit of the light drained from him surge back. Like Hunter was a worn out lightbulb and Edric was the charger. Just as soon as the feeling came it left. As soon as the lips left the energy was gone again. Edric looked at Hunter with hopeful eyes and whispered in his ear 9 simple words; I will find a way to save you Hunter. After that Edric ran back to Emira's side. He looked back at Hunter who had a hand up to his cheek feeling the area that Edric's lips had touched, as if trying to hold onto the warmth he had left there. Edric then looked at Belos who looked, well angry was an understatement. His expression was understandable, but he wasn't doing anything. That's what confused everyone. Why was Belos' not fighting them. Darius decided it had been enough and that there was nothing they could do for the time being

"Alright everyone, Hunter's made his choice, let's go," Darius said mustering up all his strength to say those words. He wanted nothing more than to scoop Hunter up in his arms and just carry him back home, where he belonged, with a family who really loved him. He knew Hunter wasn't willingly staying here, Belos must have done something but until they figured that out they would play his little game.

Everyone filed out of the throne room following Darius. Edric and Luz were the last to leave, Edric glancing back at Hunter one last time. He had to forcefully pull his gaze away from Hunter's to look at Luz's comforting and sad one. She nudged his arm a little signalling the need to leave the room. He conceded and followed her out towards the others. Once the door was shut and everyone was gone. Hunter fell to the ground clutching his chest, letting go of the breath he didn't realize he was holding.

"Very good Hunter. You performed better than I expected. Now run up to your room and get a good night's sleep. You'll be needing it for patrol tonight." Hunter crawled up from the ground and stood upright. He looked to Belos and gave a simple nod of approval before doing as he was told.

Once Hunter left the room, Belos dropped his smirk and turned towards the silent shadow still in the corner.

"Now Collector, your assistance is not needed right now, so leave my throne room," Belos ordered harshly.

"Yes emperor."

The collector faded into nothing, poofing out of the physical world. He was now in his own home world, his own scape where his shadow form usually rested, alone and in darkness. They knew they made a terrible mistake. He regretted it entirely and wanted to try and make things right but he didn't know how. He really liked Hunter, he was kind to him and seemed interested and playing with him, unlike meanie Belos who all, rules rules rules, do what I say, blah.

Then an idea hit him. If he had appeared in Hunter's dreamscape and sent him a message, then he could do the same to one of his friends. He could let them know what happened. Who would he be able to reach though. He didn't know any of their locations to be able to telapathically head there. Well wait he knew where that Gus kid would be. Gus was probably heading back with Darius to the cottage to grab his things, that meant that he could head there and warn Gus. The only problem was he needed him asleep. I guess all the Collector could do now was wait...

Word Count: 1357

Sorry this is a slightly shorter chapter but you got your Goldric angst crumbs. Plot has really been getting in the way of them lately. Don't worry next chapter will have more angst with them. Hunter is going on patrol after all. *Alexa play Deja Vu*

Anyways hope you enjoyed, make sure to comment and vote, but like only if you want to.

Trivia time: I had two cookouts this weekend on the same day so easy question; Hotdogs 🌭 or Hamburgers 🍔?