Flowerfell! Papyrus x Reader

Wattpad go home you're drunk

Also as of this morning I've just realized I'm 20 away from 200 followers!

(Hi my writing quality apparently does flip flops from time to time. I apologize if anyone notices.)
(*silently sets out a box of tissues*)

You weren't sure when it began, or why he continued to ignore it, to act like it didn't exist. Every morning, you were awoken by your alarm, and then awoken once more by your brothers' yelling. You roll out of bed, going through your daily routine before trudging down the stairs, your tired mind snapping fully awake to the sight of a bright red petal on the stairs.
Hands tightening on the railing, you glanced into the living room as you descended the rest of the stairs, spotting Sans covering a yawn as he fed the pet rock that always rested on the table with the box of red and black sprinkles, the box none of you knew was going stale.
You spotted another petal in the kitchen doorway, where Papyrus could be heard whipping up breakfast, the smell catching in your throat with a bittersweet sting. Forcing your hands to unclench, you scooped up the two petals with your magic, setting them in the bin as you poked your head into the kitchen.
If you hadn't known better, you would've seen nothing wrong. Your second oldest brother was merely standing at the stove, making you all bacon, eggs, and toast for breakfast.
One red pupil glanced at you from the corner of his socket, the one with the light scars cut over it. If you looked hard enough, past the defensive walls and harsh exterior, you could see the smallest hint of warmth behind it all, the warmth and love he held for his siblings.
And the sorrow.
Papyrus turned away again before you could dissect him even more, his head turning to the toaster on the counter, and you felt your magic pierce you like ice picks.
A tiny red blossom peeked out from the back of his skull, what was just a few petals yesterday, was now a singular flower.
You'd heard tales of the Flower illness, where whether by birth or otherwise, petals would follow the sick, and later on, flowers. Flowers would cling to the host as the years went on, covering them until they could no longer see, no longer move their joints, no longer breathe or feel. No one knew how long it would take.
And the only cure was sunlight. Real sunlight.
It was almost enough to make you sick, sick enough to make you run back upstairs and hide yourself in your bathroom.
Papyrus cleared his throat, causing your gaze to snap back to him. He was facing you now, breakfast plate in hand and outstretched towards you.
The flower was nowhere in sight, but as you took your food with a small smile and thanks, you knew the flower was still there, taunting you all with its ominous ticking of time.
Breakfast was quiet as usual, no one had woken up late and there wasn't any pressing matters, so the air was much calmer than normal.
You were nervous however, today you would be joining Papyrus on his patrol route, which meant you'd be seeing much more of that flower.

The snow crunched under your feet, the dull chatter of Snowdin slowly fading into the ambience of the woods. You did your best to ignore the flower for now, trying to focus on your work as you scanned the tree line.
"See anything?" Papyrus called out, squinting into the trees.
"Nothin' boss." You replied, sighing silently as you glanced up at the sky. The snow was falling a bit quickly, seemed a storm was brewing.
"(Y/n)!!!"
Papyrus suddenly tugged you back as a harsh snap sounded from above, pulling you out of the way of a falling tree branch that cut him on its way down. You looked up with wide sockets at the cut just above his eye, dread filling you as a set of red petals bloomed, fluttering down to the white snow at your feet.
"Are you okay?" You asked once you found your voice, unable to look away as another set of petal bloomed and took root this time.
"I'm alright, (Y/n)." He reassured you, tearing his gaze away from the petals on the ground. "I believe there's nothing else to find on patrol today. Let's go find Sans and return home for a training session."
"O-Okay Paps." Your voice shook, and you didn't even realize your slipup, and Papyrus didn't point it out either.

You found a cluster of red blossoms lingering in Papyrus' bedroom doorway three days later. You could hardly bare to look at him during breakfast, the cut above his eye had become a patch of tiny red blossoms.
Sans had found a human that day, infected with the same virus Papyrus was. It was surprising to hear Papyrus didn't attack or threaten the human, perhaps having the same infection caused such a change in behavior.
The human, Frisk, had promised him they'd get to the surface, break the barrier for all the monsters, and free them both of this achingly beautiful curse.
You believed them, and deep down, you were sure Papyrus did too.

Days passed, buzz about Sans and a human making their way to Asgore spread fast, just like the flowers that were beginning to cover Papyrus. They spread around his skull like a painful halo, beginning to circle one eye socket. They bloomed on his arm, threatening his elbow joint. A glance towards his left hand showed they were already taking their toll, just the way he held it showed he was losing feeling.
"Hey Paps?" You piped up, "Maybe we should go join up with Sans and Frisk? The flowers are spreading pretty quickly for you."
"I'll be fine, (Y/n). These flowers aren't going to stop me anytime soon."
You inwardly sighed, you love your brother, but god was he stubborn. Still you followed him, almost like a lost puppy, ignoring the nagging he would give you.
"I'm fine, (Y/n). A disease as little as this won't be enough to take me down!"
'Yes it is,' your mind hissed, even as you kept your mouth shut, 'It already is taking you down...'
You quietly took his left hand in yours, appreciating the gentle, reassuring squeeze he gave in return, despite the difficultly.

You tugged on his arm, your eyes practically begging. God why did your second oldest brother have to be so damn stubborn?!
"C'mon! We gotta hurry!" You hissed through clenched teeth, not liking the way your brother's movements were growing stiffer by the minute, "Sans and Frisk probably broke the barrier by now! So once we get you to the surface, we can... can..."
Your fight was escaping you, his lack in response was scaring you to tears.
You'd managed to convince him to follow after your oldest brother and the human, but by the time you got to the Core, so close yet so far, the flower's were multiplying at a scary rate.
If Papyrus had followed when you first asked, you'd probably be at the barrier by now, watching all those beautiful yet sickening flowers fade away.
You weeped, your arms wrapping around his waist, your face burying into his clothes. Papyrus' hand moved slowly, but found its place on your back, reassuring.
Oh if only your magic was better, but it just simply wasn't suited to carry heavy objects or people very long distances, Sans was better at that.
"I'm sorry," your breath hitched as you glanced up, eyeing what little you could see of Papyrus' eyes as he spoke, "I know my stubbornness is hard for you. I think I can keep moving, so let's do just that."
You sniffled, brushing away your tears with a nod. You took his arm again, watching as he took stiff movements forward. At least you were moving again.

Partway through the Core, you'd spotted monsters ahead of you, most likely on their way to the Surface just like you. You expected them to ignore you or shy away, just like the always did with you and your siblings. But instead they rushed towards you, taking Papyrus from your side and helping him move at a faster pace. One even scooped you up off your aching feet, mumbling something about 'hope they don't have it too'.
It was odd seeing other monsters be so kind towards you and your brother, dropping everything to help get you to the surface. It was almost jarring, but in a good way almost.
The sun was brilliant, the light warm and bright. Your feet touched the earth below you, and the monsters that helped you went their separate ways once they were sure you and your brother would be alright.
Even with the sun right there, you couldn't keep your eyes off of Papyrus, the slight look of relief as the flowers faded away, the stiff tension leaving his bones and allowing him to move freely once again.
"(Y/n), we've reached the surface, why are you crying?"
"I-It's nothin' Paps," you replied, voice wavering as another wave of tears threatened to spill, "I'm just happy I got to see the sun."