✯One✯ - Proposition

Chapter One✷

"Have you lost your mind!" Teresa couldn't control herself from almost yelling the whole restaurant down, after almost chocking on her red wine.

"Just think about it." Gideon, her best friend since childhood gave her one of his pity glare he knew she couldn't resist. His emerald green eyes locked on her plain brown ones.

"Are you insane? Do you know what you're asking for?" She questioned him, lean towards him to whisper the words, since she had managed attracting attention to their table earlier.

A look of frustration appeared on Gideon's face as his finger found way to his raven black hair, completely destroying his perfectly combed hair. A habit he was fond of when thing weren't exactly going the way he planned. Not that doing so ruined his look, it did nothing more but made him appear more attractive.

Not that she would admit it to him. Such words will only make his huge ego grow bigger. Not when she was already doing a better job in deflating it.

Taking a bite on her cutted steak, she took the moment in savouring the grateful burst of flavour. Perfect! She almost moan out. Choosing to ignore him word.

"I'll take what you just suggested as a joke." She took another bite, while glancing at him. "Stop giving me that gloomy look."

"I'm anything but joking."

She paused staring at him for a moment before shrugging, "Sorry then, I can't help you. The last thing I'll want in my life now is complications, my boss is killing me already with heavy loads of work. So count me out, I'm sorry." She mumbled, giving him a sympathetic look.

"Come on Teresa can't you just do me this small little favour. For your best friend?"

"No." She remained adamant, "don't you have those skinny leg girlfriends to help you out? This isn't like you?"

"I can't ask them for that. You know there always want more. And I never do more." He pleaded, leaning towards the table between them, stretching his right hand to grip hers.

Teresa forced a smile on her face, still finding herself saying. "No."

Letting out a sigh, he realized her hand from his, slinging himself backwards on his seat. "Daniel is dying." He blunt out, completely catching Teresa off guard.

A horrified look appeared on Teresa's face at Gideon's word. "What?"

"Earlier last week, I got a call from Jacob. He got a call from the doctor concerning Daniel's monthly check up report. Apparently he has a weak heart. And since hearing his report Daniel has been bothering both Jacob and I to get settled down. Somehow the old devil found a way into cunning me to blunt out I was engaged." He's eyes distant as he narrates, the sad news.

Teresa knows how much Daniel Snow, David's grandfather meant to the family. From what Teresa knew about grandpa Daniel, he was the most selfless man she ever knew. So Teresa kind of understand why Gideon felt the need not to disappoint him.

The cool light restaurant seem to dim a little, as if sensing Teresa's sad mood, the atmosphere cried a silent cry with her. Suddenly the whole room felt cold, every single being in the room disappeared.

Daniel was like her very own grandfather. Hearing this news felt like her air was been cut off short in shock. Far more shocking than Gideon unexpected proposal.

Shaking her head, Teresa spoke. "I still don't get why you're still insisting on me." She said softly his time around. "Why a fake engagement, wouldn't that break his heart even more when he finds out? Gideon the last thing I'd want is causing more distress to Daniel, because lies like this wouldn't be hidden for long."