Chapter 60:

"We're going to have to take out one of the gates," Vyra scowls down at the hand drawn map laid out on the table. "I don't see another way."

"We could probably do it, but we would have to worry about other dinosaurs showing up while we're doing it." Flint nods in agreement.

"We would need two teams then," Vyra purses her lips. "One to take down the gate and one to defend our flank."

"Do you have an idea for the gate?" Birch leans his elbows on the table and cradles his head in his hands. "I could help defend our flank."

"Thank you," Vyra's face softens as she looks at Birch. "We need to hit the gate hard and fast. Not give the raptors time to react. Perhaps a large volley of magic or munition. It would certainly draw attention, but if we could secure the gate it would be easier to defend from attacks on this side of the gate."

"There's one problem though," I pipe up and everyone turns to look at me. I bite my lower lip and feel unease grow in the pit of my stomach. "There are portcullises. They looked pretty sturdy when we examined the gate."

"You don't think a large attack could break them?" Vyra's red eyes narrow.

"It did look like thick iron," Jez bumps my shoulder gently. "We would need to pack a lot of heat or a really strong blast to blow them both open. And we don't know what that gooey stuff will do to flame."

"Let my team handle the gate," Flint crosses his arms over his chest. "If the rest of you can keep unwanted guests off our backs, I think we could handle the gate and the raptors."

"You're certain?" Vyra glances over the five of us. "My group will fan out around the area and meet you inside later. A large part of our group is checking out a gate to the east of here. We will meet up with them once you're through and help them through their gate." 

"Yes," Flint nods. "That sounds just fine." 

"Alright," Vyra replies. "But you call if you need help. Don't just die."

"I don't intend to," Flint clenches his jaw before turning to the four of us. Nyle, Zephyr, Jez, and I stand waiting for his orders.

"Anyone have any ideas?" Flint inquires.

I take a moment to think before remembering our fight with Skullcrusher in the mountains.

"I might have an idea," I smirk.

—————

The glow orb swirls faintly in the evening light.

"Do you really think this will work?" Nyle glances down at the orb in his own hand.

"It worked pretty well in the mountains," I shrug. "Glow orbs are full of light energy, so when they get broken all of that energy is released with explosive force."

"Sure, but you won't exactly be able to cause an avalanche this time," Flint raises an eyebrow. "That was more devastating than the explosion. And it takes a decent amount of force to break the orbs."

"Would a bullet do it?" I smirk and glance at the revolvers at his sides.

He glances down at his hip before closing his hand around a revolver. He raises it up and pops open the cylinder. After a moment of examination he pops it back in place.

"I suppose that could work," Flint shrugs.

"The true question is how good of a shot around you?" I wiggle my eyebrows as my plan comes together in my head.

"Do you even have to ask?" Flint smirks while giving me the side eye.

"Just don't miss," I grin before shaking the orb in my hand. It glows to life, casting light on everything around.

Nyle shakes his own orb and stands waiting.

"Now!" I shout before lobbing my orb with all my might toward the raptor infested gate.

The raptors scramble to their feet as a ball of light hurdles in their direction. Another ball follows a few feet behind it. Just as the orbs are about to impact with the gate a loud pop! pop! erupts from beside me.

Fwaboom! The air shakes as the light orbs explode inside the gate. My hair sweeps behind my head as a wave of light as bright as the sun lights up the whole road. The scent of charred flesh wafts our direction as the light fades and we are momentarily blinded.

I blink away the spots in my vision as the world returns to its dusk coloring.

"Did it work?" Nyle peeks out from between his fingers to gaze toward the gate.

Bits of charred raptor spread out around the gate where a gaping maw of the first portcullis warps inward with a hole roughly six feet across at its center. Behind it the second portcullis still stands unaffected except for some blast marks.

"Damn," Flint clenches his fist.

"At least we took out the raptors and one of the gates," Jez shrugs. "I can probably handle the second one." She holds out her hands. Her eyes begin to glow and her hair lifts as her lips move rapidly. She snaps her eyes up to the gate as she utters one final word. "Infernus." An orb of light the size of a basketball explodes from between her extended palms and slams into the gate. Jez grits her teeth as she leans forward, almost appearing to push an invisible wall forward with all her might. The portcullis moans as Jez's fireball destroys its integrity and melts some of the thinner pieces of iron.

After a moment, the heat dies down and Jez steps back. The fiery light blinks out of her eyes. Before us stands a second destroyed gate. Jez takes a deep breath and steadies herself on Nyle as her legs wobble. 

Zephyr nods in approval at Jez's display of magic.

"Well, shall we?" Jez gestures to the now open gates.