Chapter 28:

The sound of people everywhere is the first thing I notice as we emerge into Coronia. Thousands of people pack the streets wearing garments from every era and of every color. Silks, tulle, leather, cotton and many more. The scent of fresh-baked bread and sweets wafts on the air overpowering the scent of sweat and perfume from the crowd. Flowers dot the window boxes of all the homes above people's shops and children peek their heads to watch the crowds roll by like a river.

"Stick close," Rocky commands. "We don't want to lose anyone."

"Oh, I will," Jez grins and latches onto his arm.

DeNyle holds out his hand for me and I take it. He smiles softly and tugs me along beside him. It is not hard to keep track of Rocky with his silver hair and Jez with her hair shimmering like fire.

As we wind through the crowds my shoulder brushes against someone and the man whirls around.

"Watch where you're walking!" he grunts.

Our eyes meet and I take in his sharp features and the long scar running across his left eye.

"Skull Crusher," I mutter before continuing on. His lips turn up in a smirk.

"I'll see you at the tournament, little girl," his gravelly voice melts into the crowd.

I shudder and step closer to DeNyle.

"Don't let him get to you," DeNyle says. "They can't do anything here with such a large crowd."

"He's really allowed to compete in the tournament?" I question and sidestep another person not watching where they are going.

"Everyone who gathers the right amount of crystals and has a team of four can compete," DeNyle sighs. "Even the worst of the worst."

We catch up to Rocky and Jez just as we turn a corner to enter onto a street that spans fifty feet in width. Here the crowd grows even thicker and my eyes raise to find the palace. Tall spires with golden pointed domes and walls of a gleaming white. Gold and navy banners flap in the wind as we approach the first gate in the large wall separating the city and World Market from the castle city.

As we approach, Rocky pulls out his scroll and shows it to one of the many guards lining the wall letting people in. The man nods and ushers us through.

"Only those entering the tournament are allowed in beyond this point, besides the castles normal guests," DeNyle explains. "So security is tight."

"We can change into our garments here," Rocky leads us into a large building. Once inside he pays a man and we enter a small room, which is ten feet by ten feet with a washbasin, bath, and mirrors. A smaller room, the size of a walk-in closet, is just beyond the bath.

"Nyle and I can go in here if you don't feel comfortable changing with us here," Rocky tells us, but Jez has already stripped off her clothes and stands in her black bra and panties.

"No shame," I mutter and shake my head. "It's fine. Not like we have to actually take our clothes off to quickly re-equip into something else." I roll my eyes at Jez's antics before pulling up my inventory. I scroll to my lavender dress and drag it into my personal inventory. I click for my leather pants, boots, and jacket to be switched with the gown.

Quick as a snap, my normal getup is replaced with the gown, which fans out around me in light waves of purple tulle. The layers poof out to nearly ball gown proportions and travel up to just below my ribs. The bodice is tight and speckled with scales of silver and lilac leading up to a halter neckline. The back of the dress is open and dips to halfway down my back. I chose silver ballet flats so that I would be less likely to trip. I twist my hair up into a bun, letting the streaks of purple twist through my hair before tying it up with the ribbon DeNyle gave me. A few strands of hair caress my cheek and neck.

After examining myself in the mirror I realize everyone is starring.

"What?" I question.

"You look beautiful," DeNyle sighs and smooths out his suit. A lilac tie peaks out at his chest but is otherwise covered by his gray suit with silver buttons.

"Thanks," my cheeks redden and I glance down at my feet.

"No," Jez steps up to me and uses her fingers to raise my chin up so I am looking into her dark green eyes. "Don't lower your face. Let everyone see you. Be proud of who you are and your beauty." My heart swells at her comment. Perhaps she isn't as bad as I always thought. "I mean, you'll never be as beautiful as me, but I can't have you casting a shadow on my look," Jez shrugs. "Use this." She holds out a small pouch with makeup. "I got it for you."

"Thank you," I take the pouch gingerly and gaze at the tubes and metallic sticks inside.

"Use the nude lipstick," she turns away from me to work on herself. "It will look best with your dress."

I follow her lead and apply the makeup. A subtle wingtip with silvery eyeshadow and the nude lipstick. A dash of powder to add some color to my cheeks.

"Well you don't look terrible," Jez grins in her dark red-purple lipstick. Her red wine-colored strapless dress accentuates her hourglass figure and her wicked pointed heels make her as tall as Rocky.

"Are we ready?" she turns to look at me and then the boys.

Rocky nods and adjusts the tie at his throat. It has diagonal stripes of wine red, lavender, and silver.

"Let's go knock them dead then," Jez's lips turn up into a wolfish smirk.