Chapter 39:

After leaving DeNyle to watch over Jez, Rocky and I prepare for our impending fight.

Rocky adjusts his bow on his back and places a western-style revolver in a holster on each hip. He checks the dagger which comprises the bottom of his quiver. The hilt peaks out just enough to be grabbed if needed in close-range combat.

"Do you have everything you need?" Rocky's cold eyes look me up and down.

I finish adjusting my swords, which are strapped to my back, before nodding.

"I think so," I shrug. "I mostly just use my swords."

"And don't use your magic unless if you have to," his green-gray eyes look deep into mine. "You're our ace in the hole. No one knows what you can do. They have seen DeNyle and I fight before, and Jez is known to mages as one of the best. You should focus on close-range attacks and I'll do what I can for distance."

"Sounds good," I nod and look toward the bright entrance of the tunnel leading into the arena field.

"Up next we have Rocky and DizMay from team Ultra fighting Avia and Jericho from team Marigold!" a roar like thunder drums above our heads as the crowd cheers and stomps on the stone floor.

"Guess we should head out," Rocky starts toward the entrance. He casts one last look over his shoulder before plunging forward.

I take a deep breath to swallow my nerves before following him.

The roar of the crowd as we enter is deafening. People scream and noisemakers blare.

Across from us, two women, built like Amazons, stand with spears in hand. The first, Avia, has white hair that billows down her waist. The second, Jericho, has short red hair cropped close to her head.

"Begin!"

I step closer, allowing Rocky to back up into distance range. With him behind me I know I don't need to worry.

"Aren't you a little thing," Jericho chuckles with a rich deep voice. She gazes down at me from her over six-foot stature. She slams the butt of her spear into the ground, causing the earth to tremor slightly. "Are you ready?"

"Are you?" I question and pull both of my swords out. I grip the black leather hilts and drop into my stance. My right sword ready to defend against high attacks and my left arched low for incoming lower attacks.

Avia raises her spear, the lightning bolt-shaped tip, glints in the sunlight.

I hear a crackling sound and feel my hair stand on end just before a blast of lightning ripples past where I had been standing. I fall back toward Rocky and prepare for their next attack.

"Their spears are enchanted," Rocky tells me as I come up beside him. "If we can knock them out of their hands we can beat them."

"And if we can't?" I question and dodge another lightning attack. I roll to the side using my shoulders until I'm back on my feet.

"We had better hope we have enough stamina to outrun their attacks," Rocky releases a breath. "They're using their own energy to power the spears. They will eventually tire."

"Probably not fast enough," I grunt and dodge to the left. I sprint around the stadium, using a small amount of wind magic to boost my speed. I skid to a stop once the women are between Rocky and I. Jericho presses her back against Avia, facing me, while Avia faces Rocky.

Jericho rushes toward me, scraping the tip of her spear on the ground before swinging it up, lobbing a small boulder my direction.

I sidestep around the boulder and raise my blade to meet her next attack with her spear. The blade of her spear meets with my right sword as her legs slide out to kick me. Her foot impacts with my left knee, knocking me to the ground, but I use my right to dodge the butt of her spear as it smashes down beside me.