Chapter 19:

"Well he wasn't wrong," I shoot my gaze over to Jez who gives me a pointed look. I am afraid to look at the woman for fear of her reading my facial expression.

"Oh, Jez!" the woman saunters over to us with a large grin on her purple lips.

"Hello Madam Zemia," Jez smiles. "This is DizMay." She gestures to me. "She is hoping to maybe learn some things about magic."

"Oh! Well, it is so nice to meet you, DizMay," the woman coos and grasps my shoulders. Her large green eyes twinkle and then she smooshes my face into her two giant watermelons. They enclose me and I try to hold my breath so I do not drown. When she finally pulls away I try to recompose myself before speaking.

"Just May is fine, Madam," I smile nervously.

"Well, May then, if you'd please follow me we can get you started," she gestures for me to follow with her long green fingernails.

"Don't worry," Jez smirks. "She'll be nice to you since you're new and all." 

My eyes go wide and I follow Madam Zemia down a hallways lit with glowing blue fire.

"Now dear," Madam turns around to look at me. "Have you any previous experience with magic?"

"Uh, no," I shake my head and try to keep up. For a large busty woman, she sure can move.

"That is just fine! Come right over here!" she gestures to a spot in the middle of a circular room. 

"Now when I give you this you might feel a little strange." She holds up a swirly wooden staff. "It will help us figure out what kind of magic you should study and your aptitude." My hands close around the wooden staff and for a moment nothing happens. Then a mint flavor floods my mouth and my skin puckers. Just as I think I can't feel any colder a breeze blows against my freezing skin and lifts my hair up.

"Oh my," Madam Zemia gapes and holds out her hand for me to return the staff to her. "You have a very strong affinity for wind magic."

"That's elemental right?" I question.

"Indeed," she nods. "I see our Jezzy has been teaching you a thing or two. Tell me about what you just experienced." Her green eyes narrow.

"I felt cold and minty?" I say almost as a question.

"Huh," she nods. "Very interesting."

"So now what?" I inquire and she nods her head slowly.

"I will introduce you to Zephyr," she smiles. "He is our top wind mage. I believe he is free right now." She spins about on her heels and I scramble after her.

"Oh Zephyr!" she calls out before pulling open a door. "I've got a new student for you!"

"What is it now, Zemia!" a hoarse voice cries out. "I was trying to sleep." A woosh of air lifts Zemia's curls and then a man stands before us. His white hair is short and spiked up. All he is wearing is a pair of shorts so I blink quickly when he moves and his abs stand out. A white tattoo that looks like swirling wind flows around his arms. "Oh, hi." His eyes turn to look at me and I glance between both of them wondering who is crazier.

"Congratulations, Zephyr! You have your first student!" Madam Zemia gestures to me and the young mans mint green eyes scrutinize me.

"Are you sure? She doesn't look like she has an ounce of magic in her whole body," Zephyr scowls.

"She pulled off an impressive entry test. I think she rivaled your first response to the staff," Zemia gushes.

"Really?" Zephyr's eyes narrow and he scratches his stubbly chin.

"So will you teach me or not?" I question, feeling frustrated.

"You'll have to prove to me that you can use wind magic first," he smirks and gestures for me to demonstrate. "Come on. Blow some air at me. I dare you."

"Uh," my mouth dries up and I feel like a deer in the headlights. "I've never done it before."

"Just think about how you felt while holding the staff. That is the only hint I will give you," Zephyr rolls his eyes and crosses his arms over his bare chest. I bite my lip and try to remember how it felt holding the wooden staff. I was cold and my skin was covered in goosebumps. I tasted mint! I try to remember all of this and close my eyes to relieve the moment. My veins turn to ice and a subtle mint flavor covers my tongue.

"Alright! Alright!" Zephyr shouts and I pry open my eyes. His hair short spikey hair is blown straight back and Madam Zemia is trying to keep hers from frizzing out. "You proved your point, kid." He scowls.

"So you'll teach me?" I inquire with a smile growing on my lips.

"Yeah, sure," he nods. "But I'm not going to go easy on yah, okay? You better be ready to work hard! I expect to see you here at noon tomorrow, alright?"

"I'll be here!" I grin and turn away. "Thanks!"