Chapter 16:

"I think that is more than enough," Rocky tells DeNyle after he shoves another giant slab of crystal into Rocky's pouch.

"You sure?" DeNyle gestures to the wall of purple. "We could probably get more if you want."

"We know where to come to if we need more," Jez chuckles. It is kinda weird watching the three of them together. When it was only DeNyle, Rocky, and myself, it did not feel like I am intruding. Now with Jez, it feels like I am on the outside again.

"We're going to have to build a fire to get your clothes to dry out," Rocky turns his silver eyes on me. "We can build one after we get out of the cave and find some other shelter. Will you last that long in the cold?" I nod, not wanting to be a burden on them.

"Jez?" I walk up to her and she casts me a surprised look.

"Yeah?" she raises a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"Where did you learn magic?"

"There's a school," she shrugs and tightens the strap around the pouch at her waist. "They have teachers there."

"Really? It's not just something that you can easily pick up along the way?" I question.

"You can," she nods before her lips turn up into a smirk. "But you have to have a high aptitude. Like me."

"Oh," I sigh. Her magic is pretty cool.

"Only ten percent of all players have a strong aptitude for magic," she explains. "I doubt you do."

"Is there a way to find out?"

"There's a test," she nods. "They have a wooden staff at the school that can tell if you have the ability beyond basic magic."

"Cool," my lips turn up in a half smile and her green eyes flash.

"Let's just get out of here," she sighs and places her hand on Rocky's.

"Everyone ready?" Rocky glances between the three of us. None of us say no, so he uses a teleportation spell.

"So what kinds of magic are there?" I inquire upon us landing outside the cave. Jez shoots me an annoyed look. She purses her red lips and plops down on a blanket she whipped out. 

"There are five different types of mages," she sighs and straightens her coat to keep the cold away. "Elemental mages, Traveler mages, Enchanters, Charmers, and Manipulators. I'm an elemental mage and Rocky has some Traveler abilities as you can see from his teleportation. Teleportation magic allows you to travel  anywhere you have been before, unlike the fast travel terminal which only allows you to go to actual portals in worlds."

"What about the other three?" I curl my knees to my chest.

"Enchanters can do stuff to weapons, Charmers can make people do things like fall asleep or in love, and Manipulators can do stuff with light and darkness. Happy?" she raises an annoyed eyebrow.

"Jez can you make a fire here?" Rocky asks.

"In the open?" she glances around. "Are you trying to get us killed?"

"We've gotta get May back into some warm clothes," he sighs and heads over to chop down a tree.

"Why don't you just give her your coat then?" Jez snaps and Rocky turns back to look at her.

"Maybe I will," he snorts and swings his ax another time. A yawn rises in my throat and I curl up inside the blanket Rocky gave me.

Jez snaps her fingers angrily. A spark slips between them and then a fire roars to life in front of us. 

"I'll set up our tents," DeNyle shouts and plops a tent out of thin air. He starts to slide the tent poles together and then pounds the stakes into the ground. Soon a tent just shy of my height stands before me.

"Go on inside," DeNyle grins. "Wanna give me your wet stuff and I'll hang it by the fire when Rocky returns?"

"Okay," I pop up my screen and send my items over to him.

"I'll be back," he grins. "I've gotta set up the other tent." He disappears and I'm left in the darkness. 

I scroll through my items and pull out the light orb Rocky gave me and tap it twice. When I let it go it hovers in the air at the same height as I tapped it.

"Neat," I grin and shove it up to the ceiling of the tent so the light is not directly in my eyes. I curl up in the blanket and rest my head on my arm then close my eyes. When I blink awake I can feel the warmth from a fire just outside my tent.

"I just checked on her," DeNyle's voice sounds from somewhere outside. "She's sleeping."

"Probably a good thing," Rocky replies. "She had quite the fall."

"Are you guys really sure we should let her be on our team? I know she found those crystals but she doesn't seem like A team material," Jez whispers and my lips turn up in a sneer.

"She's doing fine, Jez," Rocky replies and my mouth relaxes slightly.

"Plus, she's my girlfriend. We can't just dump her in the snow and leave her," DeNyle chuckles.

"You're dating her?" Jez snorts. "What a joke."

"What do you mean?" DeNyle replies angrily. "She asked me out!"

"Alright, Nyle, whatever you say," Jez chuckles. "I'm going to turn in and go to bed for a bit. Wanna join me?" I can only assume she is asking Rocky.

"Alright," he replies. "Nyle can watch over May then." I hear the other tent zip shut and scowl. Then mine opens and DeNyle appears gazing into the darkness of the tent. He pulls out a sleeping bag and curls up on the floor beside me.

"Goodnight, May," he whispers but I pretend to still be asleep. I hear giggling from the other tent and roll my eyes. Two can play at that game.