A Not So Very Merry Christmas

The clock struck midnight, and the sound of a bell tolls. The date is now December 25th, Christmas Day. The objects gather in the main hall, but not in a merry way. "Midnight. Merry Christmas, everyone." Said Alfred sadly. "If only it were." Said Bruce with a sigh.

Emilia's Lair

Emilia sits by the window and stares outside. "Oh, my dear girl. I warned you not to feel for him. Things were so much simpler before he came along, and before you dared to... hope." Said the Joker tenderly. "I thought he was the one." Said Emilia sadly.

The Attic

Paul had his face buried in his knees and was still crying, but he stopped after Bruce and the other objects came to cheer him up. "Paul?" Said Dick. "Hello, lad." Bruce said. "There he is." Said Harriet. "Merry Christmas." Alfred said. "Doesn't look so special to me." Dick said. "Oh, Dick, I'm sorry. Nothing's changed." Said Paul sadly.

Barbara steps forward. "I told you nothing would change! I told you Emilia wouldn't allow this! I told you Christmas was a hopeless folly! But... I was wrong." She said.

Paul gives a weak smile before Barbara starts to sing.

Barbara: When I felt lost
And lonely
Not a dream in my head
Your words lifted my spirits high
Remember what you said

As long as there's Christmas
I truly believe

Barbara & Paul: That hope is the greatest
Of the gifts we'll receive
As long as
Our guiding star
Shines above

Barbara: There'll always be Christmas.

Paul: So there always will be a time
When the world is filled with peace and love

Paul wiped his tears away after a while. "Thank you, Barbara, I really needed this." He said. "Of course, Paul. I may not know you as well as the others, but I'll always be here for you." Said Barbara.