Chapter 1

Time was irrelevant, places and happenings phasing in and out. Days had blended together where you were wandering around the white hallways aimlessly without purpose or reason.

Not everything was lost, though. Come time, sterile surroundings were replaced with colour. The days that passed became more distinguishable, movie nights and being put under the protective care of your two lovers becoming the norm.

But somewhere along the way, an important piece to the puzzle had been lost. Would you ever find it again? And if you did, would the heartbreak that followed be survivable? Or would it tear you apart?

The view of your window framed a picture perfect blue sky, hindered only by a few grey clouds. The sights through the frame often helped you find inspiration.

Your room was neat but small, the sky from your seat at your desk being a breath of fresh air that caught in your hair. For one reason or another you hadn't bothered to cut it in a long while, not even to get rid of the split ends.

You had been sitting there trying to write for a few hours without any luck. For some reason, inspiration didn't come to you lately, but that always happened when the time of moving approached, turning the state of your mind into chaos.

While yes, living with two attractive men would be the dream of many young women, not all was sunshine and rainbows. Unlike in fairy tales, you did not get a happy ending where the princess and her prince, or princes in this case, lived happily ever after.

You always assumed this bitter reality was how adult life was supposed to be, but moving to different states every couple of months was definitely not normal, even when Billy always seemed to have perfect reasoning for it.

"It's boring here," he had once told you, right around the first time you moved. "Got nothing to do."

You'd accepted this lame excuse, although begrudgingly, and nearly crossed the entire damn country to the West Coast just to please him and cure Billy of his 'boredom'. But little did you know that not even ten weeks later, you would be hearing the same story again during one of your frequent movie nights, when you were relaxing with your head rested upon his shoulder.

Turning to the other person in your relationship never helped anything, either. Stu always readily agreed with Billy (no surprise there). On the days you grew a spine, gave them cutting looks and asked questions—demanding they gave you the real reason you couldn't stay at one place for very long—the two men would share this strange, prolonged eyecontact. They did this right before approaching you, talking oddly sweet to you and telling you that they only meant to protect you from the people in town, whispering and gossiping behind your back and saying hurtful things. Those subtle words of manipulation made the protesting stop for the most part.

You wished you could say the relocating was your biggest worry in life, but that was far from true. No matter how hard you tried to remember the your last year of high school in Woodsboro or everything that came after, you couldn't. Instead, an unshakable sense of emptiness filled you, especially considering just who caused you to be this way.

Or so you had been told.

The doctor diagnosed you with amnesia and despite it, nothing during that time in your life came back to mind, leaving you alive but empty.

"(Y/N)?" The sound of one of your boyfriend's voices pulled your attention to the door as Stu cracked it open and poked his head into the room.

You sighed, already knowing what he was going to ask before the words were even uttered. It was always Stu who came to fetch you when it was almost time to leave because Billy ordered him to and didn't want to deal with the drama that sure was to come from it.