Chapter 28

By now the moon hung high and silvery in the sky. The street was deserted just as anyone would suspect at this hour, but there still were the occasional cars that drove past.

Some ways in the far off distance a black 2000 Toyota Corolla was parked, well covered by the shadows. In it were two men, hardly seen by their dark outfits. One of the two was gazing through his binoculars. It was Stu who lowered them without taking his bloodshot eyes off their target.

"The lights are still on." Said Stu. He would much prefer going back to the days where he'd spy on you every second of the day than needing to look one more minute at Jed's house, but he didn't have any other choice. Stu wanted the man dead just as much as Billy did. He had a score to settle.

When he thought about you, everything slowed and his mind stopped for a time just letting him obsess over you. There was no way Stu could let someone take you from him. At least not without having a proper talk. And while Billy was more inclined towards murdering you after bringing you Jed's decapitated head, that wasn't what Stu wanted.

Shit was he tired, too. Beyond tired. And it was all because of the person next to him, the one that barely let him catch sleep nowadays just because he was so obsessed with their plans.

The bottle of beer that hung loosely from Billy's left hand was just to aid in their relaxation, and keep them somewhat patient as he rested the back of his head rested against the passenger's window, eyes closed.

"What's the time?" Billy took another swig, pulling Stu out of his thoughts and dragging him back to the land of the living.

His friend checked the hour watch on his wrist. "10:15."

Billy didn't answer, and for a few minutes there was only the sound of metal tapping against the window of the car they had robbed earlier that day. They couldn't stay in one vehicle for too long; if the woman the Toyota belonged to wasn't a total moron, she would have already gone to the police office and flagged it as stolen. Their goal tonight wasn't speed, but rather stealth. Blending in.

At first.

After a quick stop at a gas station for gas, snacks and the like, they had been sitting in the same spot for nearly an hour. In the end it would be worth it. This was personal. Their revenge was personal.

"There's a cat." Stu's voice interrupted the silence that had settled over the two of them once more, and made Billy pause the movement with the gun he was holding. It was the same gun they had used to ward off your pursuer, and the same one Billy was going to press between the fucker's eyes seconds before firing it and hearing that familiar and satisfying bang.

"Hmm?" He gave a quick glance in Stu's direction, before his gaze turned to the road out front.

"There's a cat." Stu repeated himself, before following up with: "You think it's his?"

Sure enough, there was a ginger cat slinking in front of their vehicle, wandering about. It stopped for a couple of seconds and as if feeling their gaze, it stared straight back at them.

The cat's tail twitched as Stu stuck out his tongue at the furry animal, laughing at it. It was only when Billy reached out for the ignition that his smile dropped, overcome with confusion. "What're you gonna do?"

"Runnin' it over is what I'm gonna do." Billy couldn't even touch the key before his hand was harshly swatted away by Stu, who scowled at him.

"Why would you do that? It's done nothing wrong to us."

"Nothing wrong? You gut people but a fucking pussycat is going too far?" Billy pulled away, not hiding his disdain as he carried on playing with the weapon. It wasn't like Stu could stop him from shooting the animal if he really wanted to. "Just call your mom and dad already."