Chapter 9

Life had many ups and downs for people. Some with more ups, others more down, yet you never knew what the curveball of life would throw at you. No one's life and struggles were the same. You met friends, enemies, and everyone in between. These people defined you even though you weren't always aware of it.

"Really? That Jed Olsen fella is going to help you?"

"Uhuh."

Midday descended onto the small town of Roseville, where you and Emma were walking along the cement sidewalk, each with a paper container of fresh noodles in your hands.

You listened to the birds chirping in the trees and the wind combing through them, enjoying the dull lull of traffic off in the distance. You weren't walking in any particular direction for the next fifteen minutes. You just followed the streets while chatting away or lapsing into a comfortable silence every now and then.

Eventually, your feet brought you to a bench near the crossing of the street, where both of you sat down. Placing the container beside you, you slumped back and let the midday sun warm the skin on your face.

Like you, many other people had the idea of enjoying the wonderful weather, but that did not mean everything was good and dandy. The weekend was coming to an end, it now being Sunday, which meant that Emma would be leaving soon. But her departure wasn't the only thing you weren't pleased about. It was Roseville's typical small town populace. 

Not even a week after arriving and apperenly, news spread fast. Today, you had been bombarded with people of all sorts trying to check out who you were, and that wasn't even the weirdest part of it.

Almost everyone you spoke with seemed baffled that you actually intended to move here. Their tone of voice suggested they thought you insane for the act. However, when you tried to figure out the reason for their strange attitude, all you got was shifty eyes and hasty retreat. More likely than not it had something to do with the killings.

Should you worry about it? It was best not to well on it right now. The only way you'd find out was if this killer came to your doorstep and really, what were the odds of that?

Emma eyed the pasta mostly left untouched, and then you. "And you feel conflicted... Why? Isn't that good news?"

Of course it was good news. You were looking forward to at least try remember something so you could bury it and leave it in the past where it belonged. To move on.

The bad news though...

"Let me guess," by the tone of her voice you could tell she already had a good idea what this was about. "You haven't told them yet?"

"I don't know how to," you confessed soberly. It was true. You hated keeping secrets. Even worse, the longer this was going to go on for, the more guilty you were going to feel doing this behind their backs.

More than anything, you wanted the support of the two most important people in your life. Question was, were you going to get it?

"As much as I don't like what they're doing to you (Y/N), if you're in a relationship, you got to tell them. It's a part of trusting each other. But..." The black haired rose to her feet and with a few short steps to the nearest trash can, disposed the rest of her food. Few footsteps later, a soft plop reached your ears as the bench jumped momentarily, Emma flopping down on her original spot next to you. "What if they're the ones keeping things from you?"

The second she said it, your hunger instantly ceased. The stubborn part of you refused to accept that possibility yet the rational part didn't. What if they did?