Chapter 12

The friendly but stern set of pupils burning into yours trapped you into standing still, unable to look away.

There was something so calming in them. You didn't know why, but Jed's gaze felt as if it were hypnotizing you with the serenity in it while simultaneously making you feel like a bug under a microscope.

"And then I ran inside... I really should've called the police," you muttered in a concluding tone. Finally, you were able to avert your vision while nervously fidgeting with the frays of your jeans.

Jed nodded, looking at you with interest through the fur of his brown jacket clinging to his tinted cheek and nose. It was early enough in the morning for it to be cold and crisp, and so both of you were dressed up to keep the low temperatures at bay.

"If it was the Ghost Face then there is nothing the police could have done," he explained calmly. His statement sounded as though it was just a mechanical response that he followed daily, which wasn't all that surprising considering the subject of the masked killer was all Jed ever covered, you figured from the little you had gathered about him. A lot of people probably asked him about it on a daily base, and you assumed that being asked the same questions over and over was bound to become tiring after a while.

"How are you sure it was him? It could have been anyone."

A miniscule part of you was still clinging on to the hope that it had been nothing more than just another prank call, but that was quickly smothered by oserving the neutral look displayed on Jed's face.

His lips upturned into a most confident smile, and you did not miss the faintest hint of ridiculing that crept in at the end of his sentence, doing nothing to still the anxiousness flowing in your veins.

"It could have been, yes," he agreed, "but it wasn't."

"But how do you know?" You argued back. "You can never be one hundred percent sure."

Something flashed by in those irises of his. You couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, but had no time to question it when you barely sensed a hand being placed on the small of your back, gently pushing you forward. Your legs moved before your thoughts did as you allowed Jed to guide you into the direction of a nearby coffee shop.

"Come with me," he said. "You and I have much to discuss."

The close proximity between you and him did not go lost on you as you felt his hand never quite leave the middle of your back, yet an invisible wall blocked any words of protest from rolling over your tongue.

You bit your inner cheek in order to focus on something other than the fuzzyness spreading through your stomach. Damn it, you were overthinking again! All the reporter was doing was being nice to you.

Unfortunately, said reporter had already noticed your strange behavior and glanced at you for a second, before halting and pushing the glass door to a shop open, the door bells chiming as he let you in first in a gentleman-like manner.

Jed had his long arm stretched out to usher you inside, one foot on the ground and the other set on the single stone step. "Go on–choose a place to sit and we'll get started."

You did just that, taking the opportunity to put a sense of distance between you both without needing to think about it. As soon as you stepped inside, you let your gaze wander over the layout of the shop. There weren't too many people as of yet, and the very few that were were spread out sitting at different tables, studying, reading the newspaper or taking advantage of the free internet.

Before you could even think of a place to sit, a cheerful feminine voice disrupted the nice, calm vibe as it boomed throughout the eating area.

"Oh hi there, Mister Olsen! The same order as usual for you and your lady friend?"