Chapter 27

Breaking into buildings was not their forté, and neither was being careful. Those facts were obvious enough when one took a quick glance around the interior of Roseville's Press Office, where to figures clad in black were rummaging through anything and everything they came across.

The entire office was disheveled. Papers were scattered everywhere, one of the windows was cracked. The door to the conference room was hanging in place by only one hinge, and many of the dasks were missing drawers that could be found all over the place.

While the intruders made a point in making it seem as though a hurricane of hate went through the place, they did avoid looking directly into the many cameras installed in some of the walls.

But then again, the ghost masks did their job perfectly well by obscuring their faces from being seen. As for any alarms that would attract the dozens of police officers already hot on their tracks, there was nothing a pair of scissors couldn't fix.

"Found it."

The taller figure motioned at one desk in the very back that had been spared from their wrath, and immediately his companion stopped with his own frantic search to come over.

Sure enough, the metal tag placed on the desk was engraved with the name Jed Olsen. Everything; the computer, keyboard and even the cup with pencils were positioned perfectly, and it came as no surprise that the drawers were locked.

"Give me that." Billy gestured towards the hammer laying on the ground that his partner then picked up and handed over, watching as the few licks were easily demolished by a couple of powerful swings.

But, to both of their frustrations, there was nothing useful in any of the drawers. So far, their search had taken way longer than intended and even with the alarms off, it would only be a matter of time before someone would hear the commotion and call the police.

Stu apperently found that funny because he was now in a full fit of laughter and held onto the other man's shoulders. "Look at us. Thirty minutes of ransacking this place and we haven't found jack shit 'bout him." His masked face was very close to Billy's. As he moved to pull awat, Stu erupted into a new fit. "I betcha (Y/N) would be so proud of us."

At the mention of your name, it took everything in Billy's power not to fire back and wipe the shit-eating grin that was sure to be there from his face. He grunted, nipping at the tip of his tongue to prevent himself from saying the nastiest things he could think of.

Things were already so fucking messed up and it was all because of you. At this point, killing you would be the easiest option. They would no longer be tied down. They would be free. Everything would be so much simpler, it sure was fucking tempting. What was the point anymore?

They lost you. That was bad, but not worse than Billy having come to terms with having the losing hand in something.

"Stay on the look-out, would'ya?" After making sure to give Jed's desk the same treatment as they did the others, Billy pushed past Stu and checked the last room, flashlight clutched tightly in hand.

The beam immediately fell onto a big locker, roughly the size of his own body. When he tested the bottom drawer, it came as a welcome surprise that unlike anywhere else they had searched, there was no resistance to his pull as the drawer rolled open, revealing the many manilla folders inside.