Chapter 20

You were walking the empty streets and glanced up into the sky to see dark grey clouds beginning to open up. Rain crashed to the ground, droplets leaping into the air as new ones hit the puddles from the most recent rainfall. The only sources of sounds were buckets of downpour dropping onto the pavement and your own footsteps.

Although you couldn't really see with the fogginess blurring your vision as the scene of twenty-four hours ago burned behind your retinas.

"Do you believe me?"

"I don't see why not."

"Idiot (Y/N)..." The words spilt out, but you didn't care. There was no one to hear them. The sinuses in your nose became thick, the area behind your eyes getting heavy like you were going to cry.

But you didn't. You needed answers. Answers only Billy and Stu could give you, whether or not they wanted to give them. You deserved it. Which was why you were looking for them at any place you could think of, on your own.

You were determined to find them, recalling yet another memory. Waking up in the hospital bed when Stu delivered the news that Meeks killed your parents, Tatum, Sidney, Ryan and Casey and Steven. You had fallen off a roof, which was only part of the truth you were now, more than ever, longing to discover.

You needed to know why. Why did they do it?

They have to be around here, you told yourself. Your (H/C) hair was slicked to your head as the drops of rain hit your cheeks and rolled down like the angry tears you wished would come.

The anger took your mind away from the fact you were freezing by now, something you barely felt with boiling hot lava coursing through you.

You passed by yet another block, curling your fingers forward into your palms like the legs of a spider would when it died.

It was wondrous how a few minutes could take everything you knew and flip it on its head, taking the reality around you to transform it into something entirely recognizable.

Your feelings for them before Martha showed you the tape and after seemed like they were from different dimensions.

It got harder to keep your eyes open with the rain showing no signs of stopping any time soon. Not that the condition of your vision mattered, the only thing that did was finding them.

As you were speed walking through an empty alley, there came a crunch behind you. Chills speared your skin and spazzed up the bones of your spine as you craned your neck to the side, looking behind you.

Left, then right, then behind again, but no one was there. You picked up your pace and carried on with your trek, not after a twisted chuckle bounced off the walls.

An extremely familiar one at that.

"Leaving so soon?"

The dread that settled in your stomach was just the same. It was dull this time, like an image behind frosted glass. You could see the shape of it, see it move omniously into view, but it didn't sting you like it usually did.

There was a specific timbre to the voice that could only belong to who else but Ghostface, the rasp of his vowels rolling a tingle up your spine.

Turning to him, you almost believed the person to be nothing but a hallucination; gravity-defying strips of black cloth just floating around the leather-clad figure they were attached to. It was as though gravity had bestowed its own rightful ability onto him, and you wondered how that was even possible.