Chapter 6

He thinks about it that night until the wee hours of the morning. For the first time, he thinks about what you felt the moment you found out, about what you were feeling and thinking that led you to decide to break up, and if you really planned on making him believe that you didn't think it'd work out to cover up the truth.

Everything the guys said tonight rings in his head. What made you think this was the better option? What made you think he'd lose more if he gave up on the dream instead of being in your and Jungwon's life? Why did you think his dream was more important than his life with you? Why did you think he'd resent you down the road?

It's not lost on him that his dream seemed to trump everything else. It would always go back to that, it would always be about that, how even during that life-changing moment of you finding out you were carrying his child, what you considered was him and baseball.

He recalls the days leading up to the break up, how your conversations had been about his move, but never about the two of you. He chalked it up to thinking it was a given, that of course you'd stay together. He never realized that it wasn't actually clear to you; it had been a given to him but not to you.

Jungkook doesn't remember fights about lack of time because of training, or him not being in the mood after a bad game. Everything you've ever been to him was patient, understanding, and accepting of the sport he'd dedicated his whole life to, like it was a given, like it was the most important thing, like it was the third party in your relationship. And you never complained.

He loved you for that and more, for the fighter that you were, for the strong and goal-oriented woman that you were, for the thoughtful and warm-hearted person you've always been. He loved you so much. He'd fallen so hard that he willingly gave you his heart and let you do whatever you wanted with it, as long you had it. Because of that, you hurt him so terribly, he didn't know how he could recover.

He thinks now that maybe it was on him, too. Maybe he didn't tell you enough just how much you meant to him. Maybe he could've done more, appreciated you more, or at least let you know that you were just as much a part of his plan the way baseball was.

Maybe then you would've trusted him that you two would work it out, that it would be okay if he had to let go of his dream to be the partner that you needed, to be the father you needed him to be for your child.

But maybe you both didn't know any better, he also thinks. You were so young, maybe it was too much to ask you to trust him, maybe you were also right not to. He'd definitely grown up the past years, and maybe he wouldn't have if you didn't break his heart the way you did.

He thinks about how you'd been the past years, too, how you took care of Jungwon on your own, how hard it must've been for you. But any more and he knows he'll break down, and he doesn't trust himself doing that alone.

He sighs at all the thoughts in his head and his mixed emotions. But his friends are right. He's home now - he has all the resources, the time - what matters is what happens next.

He wants to understand better, and to know what you went through but he can't bring himself to ask you. He knows you'll brush off the sacrifices, the struggles; you never wanted to make others see your vulnerability, know of your weakest moments. So he decides to ask someone else. It's 4AM but he doesn't care.

[To: Namjoon]: Can we meet up? Jin's bar at 7pm. See you.

**

"Uncle Tete, I choose this one!" Jungwon excitedly says, pointing at a toy submarine on the shelf. Taehyung is quick to retrieve the item then puts it in the cart.