Chapter 18

It's been a bad day.

No, scratch that. It's been a terrible day.

You'd just spent the whole morning arguing with building owners and your head is about to explode. What's worse is you couldn't even show exactly how angry you were because Jungwon is with you, and he can't see his Mama fight people. You also can't express just how frustrated you are because again, Jungwon is with you and he can't hear his Mama curse and scream at the world.

Perhaps things have been too good lately. The past couple of weeks have been filled with more outdoor dates, movies and activities at your apartment, baseball games, bonding with the rest of the guys with Jungwon taking a liking to them, especially Hoseok who risks breaking his bones just to hear the little one laugh, and video calls when Jungkook has away games.

You're less stressed at work because you can actually focus, since there's a Jungkook to pick Jungwon up from daycare or look after him when you need to pull an all-nighter.

Perhaps this is the universe's way of balancing things out because this isn't the situation you were really hoping for.

Jin opens the door to his loft, the venue of today's gathering because you're doing taste tests for his new restaurant. It's something you're happy about because at least, you have your friends' voices of reason for times like this.

Jungkook notices your agitated face and approaches you. You immediately give Jungwon to him, who smoothly moves from your arms to his father's, and you stay by the window to try to get yourself together.

Your friends know to leave you be when you're in distress and Jungkook keeps an eye on you. It's when you grip your necklace - the moon and stars one that he gave you when you were together - and take deep breaths that he leaves Jungwon with his uncles, and walks over to you. Those had always been your tell.

Calming you down used to be his expertise. He's not sure about now but you've been on such good terms that he thinks it's worth a try.

"Hey, what's going on?" He asks, voice laced with worry.

"I..." You start, checking on Jungwon first before you say anything.

"He's okay, Hoseok and Jimin are playing with him," Jungkook says.

You move towards where the rest of the guys are and release a long breath.

"So, apparently the apartment we're supposed to move into in two weeks has mold and the idiot of a building owner insists that it's okay like that shit's fine and like I don't have a kid." You huff.

"And he won't give us the corner unit because it's reserved for when he needs a place for his mistress and he offered the one in the 7th floor! I have a child! And there's no elevator there!" You exclaim

"And your current apartment?" Yoongi finally asks after a while, everyone else just watching you unload.

"My lease ends this month and that other idiot of a building owner won't let me extend it until I find a new place because he says someone's moving in. I'm friends with his daughter. She said no one's moving in. He's just lying because he hates me," you pant.

"Why does he hate you?" Jungkook asks, tone bitter.

"He's a grumpy man who, in the very rare times that Jungwon threw tantrums, decided he dislikes little kids."

"His own probably hates him, since his daughter is ratting him out," Yoongi says.

"Well, I may have also paid my rent late but like, just thrice in the past year and he just doesn't have any form of compassion for this hardworking mother who has the sweetest child in the world," you pout, and Jungkook giggles to himself because you'd never been this dramatic, although the situation does call for a bit of that.