Chapter 7

Jungkook enters the venue and heads straight to the bar where Namjoon is already waiting.

"Scotch, please," Jungkook calls to the bartender, earning him a remark from the older man about how even his alcoholic preference has upgraded.

"It's smoother," Jungkook says, fixing himself on the barstool.

There's an air of silence between the two men that is almost uncomfortable.

It had never been like this. Namjoon is a protective brother but given that Jin is one of his good friends who'd vouched for the young man, it had been easy for Namjoon to go soft on Jungkook. He saw how much Jungkook cared for you, made you happy, and as your brother, he'll always be grateful for that.

"How are you?" The older man asks, sipping on his Martini.

"Great. Just found out my ex-girlfriend was pregnant with our son whom I didn't know existed until a week ago. You?"

"Not great. My parents have been calling me, asking how ___ is and how you are and if things are okay. Don't exactly know how to break the news that things aren't actually fine."

"They must hate me, huh?"

"Nope. You know our parents always stayed out of our relationships. They always liked you, though. But is that what you really wanna know?"

Jungkook exhales, trying to calm himself. He had time to think things through, but facing the emotions had been difficult.

"I just wanna try to understand. I want so badly to justify what she did so I could stop being so angry. I just want to stop feeling... this, " he says, clutching his chest, lips quivering. "It hurts so bad, I just don't want to feel this anymore."

Namjoon weakens at the sight of Jungkook like this, desperate to feel something else other than pain, other than anger. He'd heard from Jin how it was so hard for the young man to accept losing you, and then all this? It's a lot for one person to handle.

"She was so selfish, leaving me like that, thinking I would be okay on my own. And then I finally accepted what happened only to find out that we have a child all this time? Please, please make me understand," he begs, eyes glassy now.

"Look," Namjoon says, turning to Jungkook, who, even with his build, has never looked so small.

"I won't defend her and say that I think she made the right decision. It's just that she made the best decision she could make at that moment. She knew what was at stake and she felt that choice was the better one," he explains, similar to what Yoongi had posited.

This is your brother who always had a good read of you and it's the closest to your thoughts that Jungkook could get.

"She tried to comfort herself everyday by justifying what she did - that you did well, made it to the major league a year later. You did what you set out to do. And I'm sorry to bring this up but when your mother got sick, wasn't it that you had enough to pay for it all? No debts, no added stress for her? Life was good for you and your mother. It wasn't the best, but what if you had stayed?" He asks, the question ringing in his head.

How would things be if Jungkook stayed?

"Again, I'm not saying she was right, I'm just saying that things happened the way they did and she made a choice. Any other decision would've had other consequences and she made the one she could stand by, that she could live with. I mean, it was all she could do."

Jungkook thinks about this, how he'd felt comforted, too that he was able to pay for all his mother's medical bills when it got too much. But life wasn't good; it was excruciating being away from you, thinking all that time that you really didn't believe in the both of you, convinced that it wasn't going to work out.