Chapter 12

It's 6PM on a Friday and Jungkook is hitting balls in their training facility's indoor batting cage, with Jin in the next lane who's been enjoying the perks of being cousins with the Bears' star hitter. He's hitting too, not for practice but to let out frustrations, given how enamored he is with his rival resto-bar's owner who's just as persuasive and charming as he is.

The cousins are bickering, with Jungkook stating that Jin's just afraid to be dominated by someone because he knows he's a terrible sub - earning him ball hits from Jin that don't land - and with the older man countering that Jungkook's just afraid to admit that he likes you, a complete 180 from how it was in college.

"Why are you so convinced that I like her? May I remind you that she broke my heart. I've moved on, okay?" Jungkook defends, worried not to give anything away. It's not something he's verbalized, afraid of it snowballing then not being ready for the consequences.

"Why are you so convinced that I wouldn't notice?" Jin deadpans, confused as to why Jungkook feels the need to deny it. "I'm the last person to fall for your bullshit, Kook. And you're probably the most expressive person I know. Your eyes are so big, I can see them shift from Jungwon to ___ from a mile away, and lingering. And don't think I don't miss how you force yourself to not bite your lips to stop yourself from smiling when she's around."

Jungkook rolls his eyes but curses himself for still being so transparent. That's what he was with you back in college; it was easy for the guys to know when he'd fallen for you because of the change in demeanor, how during his most serious moments during training and games, seeing you in the stands suddenly turned him into a lovesick puppy who just couldn't stop beaming.

"Shut up, I need to focus," he deflects, earning him a laugh from the older man.

Jungkook continues his bats, shouts of approval from the coaching staff and team members present echoing in the facility.

His phone rings and he immediately drops everything and runs to it, the specific ringtone indicating that it's you on the other line, something he decided just in case there's an emergency so he knows not to ignore it.

"___, everything okay?"

At this, Jin laughs and rolls his eyes. Emergency or not, it doesn't explain the smile that's currently on Jungkook's face after you say that things are fine.

"Are you busy? I'm sorry for calling, I didn't know who else to ask. I know you mentioned training tonight," you say on the other line.

Jungkook moves out of the netted area and sits farther away from the noise coming from the others batting.

"No, it's okay. I have time. What do you need?"

"I'm caught in a meeting so I can't pick up Jungwon from daycare yet. He gets restless when he remains in the same place for a long period of time and, well, Namjoon is in a conference and Tae is out of town. I was hoping maybe you could pick him up? If you're not busy, or like, caught in the middle of something. If you are, I can—"

"Hey, ___, relax. Of course I can," he states. "I'm done anyway. I can head out there now. Will they let me take him?"

"Yeah! I'll call his teacher and vouch for you. Just give your ID and then they'll just video call me to confirm that I'm approving you to pick Jungwon up," you respond, the worry of disturbing Jungkook slowly disappearing at his gentle tone.

"Sure, just send me the address. And your office's too, so I'll know where to drop him off."

"Yes, yes. I will," you respond.

Your boss calls you from the room since break is over. "Just text me if something comes up. Thank you so much, Jungkook. I'll see you, bye!"

Jungkook drops the call and rushes to get his things, leaving a howling Jin who screams that Jungkook is in love.