Chapter 8

The place that Jungkook chose is a little French cafe that has a light and airy feel to it, and you think it'll help Jungwon feel a little less intimated. There also aren't many people around, which is surprising for a Saturday brunch hour.

You make out the table far back, by the glass window where you can see the flowers outside. Next to Jungkook is Jin, then Namjoon and Ara. The empty seats reserved for you and Jungwon are those in front of Jungkook and beside him.

You approach them, with everyone except for Jungkook - who just nods at you - standing up to give you a hug, with Jin spending more time than usual. With everything that's happened, you didn't realize how much you've missed your friends, too. They were collaterals of this whole ordeal; now you're glad that you feel like starting over with them as well.

Jungwon stands behind you, arms wrapped around your waist when Jin comes close. He's an unfamiliar face so it's natural for the little one to be shy and hide behind you, like what he usually does, but he loosens up when you talk to him and make him feel comfortable, so you excuse yourself because you want him to feel comfortable around Jungkook.

You find an empty chair by the wall and sit Jungwon there.

"Hey sweetcheeks, we're going to meet some of Mama's friends, okay? They're new people but they're very kind and funny," you say, kneeling down in front of him.

You get the brown backpack he's wearing and take out his stuffed elephant, one of his many playmates that he likes to bring around. You place Mr. Choochoo in his arms, explain to him what you'll do and that he can have some sweets later.

"Okay, Mama. I want some cookies," he says in his tiny voice.

You tell him you'll order some and pinch his cheeks, then you kiss his forehead, causing him to giggle, and you kiss him some more because you know this also makes him feel relaxed.

Jungkook watches from afar, the pang on his chest reminding him of the time lost, and he wonders if he'll ever be like that with his own son. Jungwon is at a critical stage where trust is being developed, and Jungkook wants to be someone whom his son can trust.

The feeling in his chest grows as you approach them again. You give him a smile and help seat Jungwon next to his father.

"You remember the other day when you broke your airplane? Someone fixed it for you, right?" You ask.

Jungwon nods, eyes still focused on you.

"Good, because he's here. Look," you say, pointing to Jungkook. "He's the kind man who helped you."

Jungwon turns and looks at Jungkook, who returns his curious gaze with a grin. The little one is probably familiarizing himself with the man in front of him, as he nods and shyly smiles.

"Hi, buddy. I'm Jungkook," he says and waves. "What's your name?"

"Jungwon," he whispers.

"How old are you?"

He responds by raising his hand to show four fingers.

"And when's your birthday?"

"July 6!" Right as he answers, it registers to him, causing him to beam, the kind that reaches his cheeks and Jungkook's heart is soaring. And just like that, the pang in his chest is gone.

You mirror Jungwon's smile, knowing that's enough of an icebreaker. He's a sensitive kid who remembers kindness, and that day at the grocery, he saw it in Jungkook. You could chalk it up to some father-son connection if you like, but you also know that Jungwon tends to gravitate towards other gentle people, too.

The brunch goes surprisingly well, with Namjoon directing the conversations, knowing that it would still take some time to really settle into what was once familiar.

Days like this used to be a weekly engagement, filled with jokes and unfiltered comments and hand holding between you and Jungkook, but everyone seems to be careful, reserved, almost unsure, like the glass will break at any wrong move.

Perhaps you're all just giving this time for both father and son to be familiar and comfortable with each other. You know it will take a while but it's something you don't mind at all.

Jin is talking about his recent trip to Japan and his new ideas for another restaurant and you're engrossed in his stories, until soft laughter catches your attention.

You turn to Jungwon, who's laughing at Jungkook as he uses the macarons for eyes and makes weird faces, the latter pulling the sweets apart into smaller pieces and giving them to Jungwon who easily chews them. He offers Jungkook pieces of his cookies too, who dramatically devours them.

"My cookies!" Jungwon giggles.

You soften at the sight and excuse yourself before tears pour out and you will yourself to get it together in the washroom. You knew it was going to be a heartwarming proper meeting of the two but you weren't ready for that kind of moment.

For all his shyness, Jungwon seems to be really comfortable with Jungkook, who's doing so well, too, letting your child take the lead, not forcing anything, and being his usual sweet self.

Soon enough, brunch is over and you inform them of having to leave right away to make it to Jungwon's dentist appointment in time. You place him in the car seat and turn to Jungkook, who's now able to properly look at you, probably for the first time this whole day.

He opens his mouth to say something but his eyes lock in on your neck instead, a familiar piece of jewelry gracing the delicate feature. He stills and you're confused, until you realize he's looking at the necklace you're wearing, the one with the moon and stars that he'd given you on your first year anniversary.

He told you that it was because you light his darkest nights and you squirmed at the cheesiness, smacking his arm and threatening him of getting rid of it if he ever spewed disgusting shit like that again. He loved that reaction, but deep down, you both knew that he was telling the truth.

It was that piece of him you could keep to yourself, one you didn't have to share nor explain to anyone else. Out of everything you kept of your time together, the necklace was the only thing that didn't make you break down every time.

You keep your thoughts at bay then nod at him and ask him what he meant to say.

"I'd really like to do this more," he utters, eyes on your face now. "And not just on weekends. Whenever we can work out a schedule, that would be great. I mean, he and I have so much to—"

"Of course, Jungkook," you cut him off, knowing he meant to say that there's so much time to make up for and you don't want today's meeting to end on that note. "Let's work something out, I'm sure Jungwon would love that, too."

You exchange numbers, as well as awkward smiles, like you're some teenagers saying goodbye on their first date. It's a little refreshing though - way better than the last time when he was shouting and crying in front of you.

Any passerby may think it's the makings of a romantic relationship, but if they only knew. You loved this man, and quite frankly, you're unsure if you ever stopped.

"I'll see you again, yeah?" You finally say.

"Okay then. I'll see you."