Closure

A/n I might come back to this story someday, but whether or not that happens, I wanted to provide some sort of closure. I had a lot of ideas that I didn't want to go to waste. and this chapter is an original addition. I hope you all enjoy.

--------------------------------

Y/n's POV

Yang, Ruby, and I are sitting on a Bullhead headed for Patch. It's Tai's birthday today, and we got permission to leave campus to visit. We each got him a present. Ruby got him some fuzzy slippers, Yang got him a mug with a pun on it, and I got him some training equipment, including a new punching bag and some hand wraps.

"I'm so happy we get to see Dad again! It's been months since we've seen him." Ruby is practically bouncing out of her seat, she's been looking forward to this for weeks. 

"I hope he likes our presents, we didn't really have much money to spend."

"For you two maybe. I have a decent amount saved. Besides, you're his daughters. I'm sure he's ecstatic just being able to see you two again."

"Well excuse us for not being rich."

"You know you could have taken a part time job back home right? Don't hate me for being fiscally responsible."

Yang and I bicker for a few minutes before an announcement goes out telling us to fasten our seatbelts. Landing down in Patch for the first time in months is a sobering experience.

"You two head home, I'll pick up the cake." They both agree, and I head to the bakery. Walking through the town, I see a bunch of familiar faces. Friends and acquaintances I haven't seen in years. Walking into the bakery, I get the cake and head over to our secluded house in the forest. 

"I'm back." I see Yang and Ruby sitting on the couch talking to Tai. Zwei runs up to me, barking and jumping around me.

"Hey, Y/n!" Ruby waves excitedly to me. I set down the large box on my shoulder and carry the cake to the table.

"Hey Y/n. I thought you weren't coming for a minute." Tai stands up and grabs an extra plate from the cabinet and goes to set the table.

"Hey! Stop that. It's your birthday, you're not doing any set up." He goes back to the living room, thoroughly chastised. "Do you think so little of me? That I'd miss a family birthday?" 

Tai looks uncomfortable at that. "I-I didn't mean-" 

"I'm kidding. I'd have to be a real jerk to miss your birthday. I'll go start the grill. It's nice to see you again." The tension in the air evaporates. Going to the fridge, I grab the kebabs and head out back. Along the way I hear Tai calling back to me, "It's nice to see you too."

--------------------------------

After a nice dinner I bring out the cake and grab a knife. I light the candles and Yang dims the lights. I place the cake in front of him, the words "Happy Birthday Dad!" staring back at him. I pull out my scroll and start recording. 

Tai blows out the candles on his cake and we all cut ourselves a slice. Afterwards we move to the living room and Tai opens up his presents. For a couple hours we just spend time together, the four of us. Placing my plate in the dishwasher, I head up to my room. Inside, I find it the same as I left it. My bed made neatly, books arranged, desk clean, even my recurve bow standing unstrung in the corner. There's no dust anywhere, looks like Tai took the liberty of cleaning here too. He always made a fuss about me cleaning my room while I was living here, so I just assumed he wouldn't bother to clean it while I was gone.

Going to my closet I pull out a small portable safe. Inside I find the first pistol I built and the thigh holster that goes with it. Pulling them both out I strap them to my person and head for the door. The door swings open before I can reach it, and Tai stands just outside. 

"Oh... hey. Where you headed?" 

"I was going to visit Mom's grave. Did you need something?"

Tai turns around. "Don't worry about it. I just wanted to talk for a bit."

"Oh. Well I mean, you can come with me if you want."

"Sure."

We both head out the front door, taking Zwei along with us and letting the girls know where we're going. The walk there is awkward and the only noise along the way are crickets.

"Soooo, how's your training coming along?" Tai tries to break the silence. 

"It's going well. Made some friends at Beacon, so I have some good sparring partners."

"That's good."

"Yeah..."

"You excited for the Vytal festival tournament?"

"Not really. Since I'm the fifth team member in a four person team I was prohibited from entering."

"Oh, that sucks."

"Yeah. But hey, I got a girlfriend. That's neat."

"Oh, congratulations!"

"Thanks." The conversation gets easier the closer we get to Mom's grave. Walking up, I talk about everything that's happened since I last visited. How I got into Beacon with Ruby and Yang, how I got a girlfriend, that I'm one of the top five students in my year, that I'm trying to keep my sisters in line. Sometimes I wonder why I do this, whether or not Mom can really hear me or if I'm doing this for myself. Either way, After saying my goodbyes I wait with Zwei while Tai visits Mom as well. It's been pretty hard on him since Mom disappeared and I suppose my presence wasn't much help in that regard. We both leave the clearing and head back.

"Do you hate me, Tai?"

"What? Why would you think that?"

This topic has always been on my mind. Dad was his best friend, and Mom wasn't the first woman he had relationship issues with.

"Y/n... how long has this been on your mind?"

"A while."

Tai lets out a long sigh and stops walking. "Y/n, I don't hate you. You have nothing to do with what happened with Qrow and Summer. Yes, it hurt learning that my wife slept with my best friend. But that's not your fault. You're still family."

Hearing that took a weight off my shoulders. I had always assumed that my place in the family was my mother's wish, and that Tai had only allowed me to stay because of her. I was always wondering why Tai was so much more strict with me than with my sisters. But I guess I was just afraid for nothing. My eyes start to burn, tears threatening to fall. It's so stupid. Why had I let this thought torment me for so long?

"I'll see you at home. I'm going to see if there are any Grimm in the area, make sure they don't get too close to the house."

"You sure? You don't have to-"

"I know. I just want some time to think. I'll see you in a bit."

"Yeah. Stay safe, Y/n."

I nod, before taking off in the woods before he can see me cry. 

----------------------------------------------------------

A/n Very short chapter. I might not come back after this, but either way I hope you enjoy.