chapter 4

Y/N POV

"Ruby, Y/N! Over here! I saved you both a spot!" Yang could be seen waving us over. Turning to Jaune, Ruby said, "Hey, I-I gotta go. I'll see you after the ceremony!" Nodding to Jaune I say, "Take care, man." Walking away I could hear him whine about finding a 'nice, quirky girl to talk to'.

"How's your first day going, little sister?"
"You mean since you ditched me and I exploded?" Ruby sounded very pissed off.

"Yikes," Yang said, "meltdown already?"

"No, she literally exploded a hole in front of the school," I said. Ruby chimed in, "And there was some fire, and I think some ice?"

Yang just smirked, still not believing us. "Are you being sarcastic?" 

"I wish! I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage, and then she yelled at me, and then I sneezed, and then I exploded, and then she yelled at me again, and I felt really, really bad, and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me!"

"YOU"

Ruby quickly jumped into Yang's arms like an idiot while I just sighed wearily. "Oh, God, it's happening again!" The White Witch scowled at all of us. "You're lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff!" Yang took on a dumbfounded face and said "Oh my God, you really exploded."

Without turning away I leaned towards her and whispered, "Yeah." Turning to both of us she said "It was an accident." After getting back on the ground she turns back to Weiss and repeats, "It was an accident!" Weiss shoved a small pamphlet into Ruby's face. "What's this?" 

"The Schnee Dust Company is not responsible for any injuries or damages sustained while operating a Schnee Dust Company product. Although not mandatory, the Schnee Family highly encourages their customers to read and familiarize themselves with this easy to follow guide to Dust applications and practices in the field." Her voice slowly rose in pitch, and I could see Ruby's head starting to spin. "Uuuhh?"

"You really want to start making things up to me?" Weiss said. Sis was still a bit dizzy, but still replied with "Absolutely." Weiss shoved it into Ruby's face and huffed, "Read this, and don't ever speak to me again."  Yang piped up in an attempt to relieve tension. " Look, uh, it sounds like you two just got off on the wrong foot. Why don't you start over and try to be friends, okay?" Ruby put away the pamphlet and continued trying to patch things up, however useless it was. "Yeah! Great idea, sis!" Clearing her throat and holding her hand out, as if she thought Ice cold  would actually shake her hand. "Hello, Weiss! I'm Ruby! Wanna hang out? We can go shopping for school supplies!"

"Yeah! And we can paint our nails and try on clothes and talk about cute boys, like tall, blond, and scraggly over there!" she said, pointing to Jaune as she said this. " Wow, really!?" 

"No." 

"Can all of you be quiet? Ozpin is about to speak," I whisper yelled.

Ozpin walked up to the microphone, coffee in one hand, weird cane thing in the other. He wore a halfway buttoned coat, a green scarf with a pin in front of it, with glasses that were WAY too small to be used like normal glasses. He roamed the room with his eyes, and after a few seconds spoke up. 

"I'll... keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."  Then the blonde witch with the riding crop stepped in and added, "You will gather in the ballroom tonight; tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed."