C H A P T E R 7 : Aftermath

"Ari!" She could faintly hear Natsu's voice. "What the hell happened?!"

Her eyes searched for Erza, and they found her with a beaming smile, but even before she could reciprocate, Erza pulled her in for a tight hug. Ari found it comforting but knowing what she went through, she wanted to pull away from Erza's hug.

However, her body did something that she would never expect to do; hug Erza back.

"After the flash, you suddenly dropped to the ground, wounded." Gray said.

Ari was helped to her feet by Erza. "I was trapped inside a glass cage... I don't know what it was, but I was able to fend them off and escape."

"That doesn't make any sense! How were they able to wound you so fast?" Natsu inquired.

"I... think," Ari groaned, holding her stomach. "time passes differently where they took me."

Gray muttered a 'tch' whilst he looked around. "How convenient."

"It seems like they can target us one by one. We better fall back for now." Erza said.

Back in the lodging, Erza was the one who tended to Ari's wounds and their time alone gave them an opportunity to talk.

"I want to apologize for my oversight. If I had known about the trap, maybe we could've captured them." Erza began, dabbing a cloth on Ari's arm. "I'm really sorry."

Ari winced on contact but still managed to give Erza a smile. "It's okay. I'd rather be the only one wounded. That impostor was strong. They had complete control of everything inside that dimension I... I could barely do anything."

"Good thing you were able to escape." Erza looked at and caressed Ari's wrist which bore the runes. "If anything happened to you, Lucy might..."

Ari's face darkened. 'Lucy?' however, it quickly disappeared as soon as Erza once again looked up to Ari.

"I'm sorry for doubting you even for a second. I want you to know that I believe in you." Erza tugged her lips into a smile, although worry could be seen behind her eyes. "You're strong, Ari. I know you wouldn't lose to the likes of those people."

Ari's chest felt heavy as she gazed upon the worried Erza. Ari gently placed her hand over Erza's which held the cloth, stopping Erza from treating her any further.

"You don't know how happy I am to hear that you believe in me." Ari reciprocated Erza's smile as she brought Erza's hand on her chest. Ari could see Erza react to her action, yet she didn't feel Erza resist.

"Can you feel that?" Ari said, her eyes awaiting another response from the fairy queen. True enough, Erza lightly nodded.

"That's what love feels like." Ari chuckled.

Only then did Erza swiftly take back her hand as she looked away, flustered. "S-Surely you jest...!"

"I would never." Ari stood up from the bed and made a few steps toward Erza. "Listen, this might be sudden, but..."

Ari once again reached out her arms to Erza. Only this time, Ari guided Erza using her thumb and her fingers to tilt the titania's face up enough to make their eyes meet. With every inch that they got closer, the scarlet mage only became more indulged by Ari's touch. The heat from their bodies was enough to make Erza respond to Ari by moving her own arms to the small of Ari's back and gently pulling the marionette in between parted knees.

"A-Ari..." Erza breathed, her eyes locked onto Ari's rosy lips.

Ari's fingers fully cupped Erza's cheeks before their lips finally touched.