C H A P T E R 1 7 : City of Knowledge

A body fell to the ground as another flew to a tree, a mirror-like javelin impaling them against it.

Ari huffed, a bead of sweat trickling down her chin. "Fucking thugs."

Three days passed since Ari's departure from Moloch. She was still preyed on by mages that sought to take her head and claim her bounty.

"Where the fuck is that stupid sinkhole anyway?" Ari said to herself as she went to grab her things off the ground before beginning to walk where the map said Deiflam was.

She trekked uphill, intently focusing on her map. Her lacrima then rang, to which she answered even without reading the name on the screen.

"Hey, cutie." Erza's voice resonated.

Ari held the lacrima on her hand to maintain Erza's hologram balanced. "Hi. Also-cutie?"

"Yeah, I'm trying out different endearments. Do you like it?" The knight said, her attention also divided from Ari and something else.

"Hmmmm. I don't hate it, but it's something that you say more to cute things, isn't it?"

"But you are cute. You know, like when you cuddle up to me when you're cold."

Ari gasped, causing her to look at the hologram and finally notice Erza wearing a frilly pink apron. "Look at you in your adorable apron, cutie. Did I use it right?"

Erza laughed. "Fine. Cutie is off the table. So, how's your search for Deiflam?"

"I don't know. I feel like I'm close, but I can't seem to find it. I know it's a huge sinkhole, but I haven't found any. I mean it's a giant sinkhole how could anyone miss—" Ari's voice was cut off by a high pitched scream as she fell over the edge of her path.

Startled, Erza finally gave notice to the lacrima and found pure darkness. "Ari?! Ari!"

A moment later, Ari's face once again showed up in the lacrima, her hair blown upwards by the wind. "Hi, babe. Lemme just—"

Erza watched Ari's hair bounce up and down. The hologram did not show much except half of Ari's body. "Are you okay?"

Ari nodded before looking at the camera. "Yeah. I just fell."

"Fell? Fell where?"

Ari grinned before her hologram disappeared and showed a dark area with a small light source from above. "I think I found it."

"That's Deiflam?" Erza said.

The view changed to Ari's image once more. "Yeah. Or what used to be. It doesn't seem very knowledge-y, does it?"

"No kidding. I'm sorry about Deiflam, hon." Even as Erza expressed her most sincere empathy for Ari, she couldn't help but smile. "Will you come home soon?"

Ari looked at the hologram and found Erza's smile. She smirked feeling the scarlet knight's excitement through the device. "Nice try, Scarlet. It may not be here, but I can feel traces of Vol's magic nearby. Deiflam is definitely here."

"O-Oh. Is that so?" Erza looked away, her excitement deflating as she mumbled. "Oh, that's great. Yay."

This earned a gentle smile from the marionette. "I'll be home soon."

Erza reciprocated her smile. "You better. I miss squeezing your..."

"My...?" Ari inquired, a little confident on what Erza was about to say.

"Y-your..." Erza stuttered, feeling her face heat up.

"My soft ass?" Ari finished the requip knight's sentence for her, a smirk coming back to her lips.