C H A P T E R 1 1 : Purpose

"Something's wrong with you." Edo Ari finally said after several minutes of just staring at Ari.

Ari replied, a vein forming under her eye as it twitched in annoyance. "Oh, is that so?"

"Yeah, like I can't really pinpoint it right now, but something's messing you up." Oblivious to Ari's irk, Edo Ari continued to stare at her Earthland version.

"Shut the fuck up." Ari tried holding up her hand to block Edo Ari from staring at her, but the ethereal Ari simply floated forward, resuming her one-sided staring battle.

"It's so weird how you literally just met the love of your life and now, you're fooling around with other people already." Edo Ari frowned as she folded her arms, floating beside Ari.

"Even if she was, there's nothing I could do. The distance is there and not to mention Jella-- would you stop bringing her up every fucking time?" Ari swiped at Edo Ari. "I'm trying to move on here."

Edo Ari didn't even flinch as Ari's arm passed right through her body, now bearing a judgy stare at Ari. "Move on when you're dead."

'You gotta be kidding me.' Ari's eyes twitched harder, her hair starting to stick out in places as she just stared at her Edolas self.

Earning no more response from Ari, Edo Ari sought to change the topic, hovering above the cluster of papers sitting inside Ari's bag. "What a cliché. Swamping yourself with endless distractions."

Ari still chose to ignore Edo Ari's comments, her eyes getting lost staring at the blood pooling at her feet. 'Well what other choice do I have?'

---

"Yo! I'm back!" Ari greeted Pirate Cannon.

Their own barkeep was the first to greet her. "The prodigal daughter as returned. How's life in a legal guild?"

Ari chuckled, "It's as suffocating as I expected, but honestly, its not all that bad. What about you guys, how was hanging out with a legal guild wizard?"

"Huh? We didn't get to hang out with her, she had always been with the master ever since she arrived."

"Oh, how come?" Ari thought of sitting yet decided against it.

"Beats me. Try asking the master yourself." He turned around, wiping a glass dry with a white cloth. "If you can."

"What do you mean by that? You're saying I can't see the master? What about Sister Alicia?"

"Same goes with her. Your little exchange buddy hasn't earned her keep, so you gotta make up for that." He turned back to slide a glass of beer over to another member. Only then did Ari see how scornful the barkeep looked at her. "Welcome back, Charity."

The look that the barkeep gave Ari made her seethe with anger. She could feel a boiling heat erupting from her chest as she clenched her fist. It itched to make contact with this son of a bitch's face.

Ari understood where his attitude was coming from however, recalling how their system in Pirate Cannon works.

The marionette pirate took a few deep breaths, attempting to rid herself of the urge to curb stomp this guy as it would further affect her standing—and not in a good way.

"The legal guild taught you manners now, did they?" The barkeep smirked.

Blood rushed all over Ari's body, her breathing exercises proving naught in the face of her condescending guild member.