1. The Game

You sighed as you waited, a little impatiently, outside Hawkins High.

Players and spectators of the basketball tournament spilled out of the multiple open doorways but your sister was nowhere to be seen.

The basketball game wasn't as boring as you'd been expecting, but you weren't going to admit that to your sister or her jerk of a boyfriend, if they ever made it off the school grounds.

You'd been waiting for at least half an hour now and it was starting to get on your nerves.

Everyone around you seemed to be leaving with their friends or families. But you weren't.

You had no idea where yours was. It was as if Chrissy had forgotten that you existed.

Although, it wasn't the first time Chrissy had done this, particularly in the past few days. She'd seemed drawn away from her usual social life in ways that you couldn't exactly explain.

You just assumed it was to do with her relationship with Jason and didn't want to pry, but now that you were thinking about it, maybe you should've at least asked her how she was.

You itched the back of your neck, feeling kind of guilty as you waited, eyes scanning the doorways looking for a familiar face. Either Chrissy, Jason or anyone who would know where they were. It didn't matter to you at this point, you just wanted to go home.

You were just grateful you remembered your Walkman. If you hadn't brought it, your waiting would've been so much more awkward.

After another three minutes, you spotted the basketball team making their way out of the exit. They were hard to miss in their bright go tigers! uniform. It was as if they were some sort of cult.

And of course, Jason was right in the centre of it all, laughing with his friends and grinning feverishly at the boy who had shot the winning basket, Lucas Sinclair.

You were in some of Lucas' classes and from what you knew, he was more of a nerd than a jock. This made you wonder what he was doing with the team but you didn't think much of it.

After all, you were more worried about your sister, and why she wasn't with her boyfriend, or anywhere to be seen.

"Hey!" You shout across, unplugging your Walkman as you made your way over, "Seen Chrissy?"

Jason stopped grinning for a short second and turned to face you. "What?" He asked, face bland.

"I said," You repeated, a little irritated, "Have you seen Chrissy?"

Jason shook his head, "I thought she was with you."

"Clearly not." You rolled your eyes, cover your ears with your headphones, turn around and began to walk away.

Jason continued to chat to his friends about the game as if nothing was wrong. His voice faded into the crowd as you strode along the pathway, getting away from the school.

Chrissy must've gone home already, that was the only plausible explanation. She wouldn't have hung around this late after the game. So, you decided that you might as well begin your walk now instead of pointlessly waiting around any longer.

Your mum didn't ever let the two of you use the car so you were unlucky enough to have to walk everywhere.

Although, it wasn't as bad when you had your music. A little bit of New Order made the constant hikes a lot easier to bear.

Cars rumbled by as you continued through the school's car park and onto the dimly lit road that lead to your house.

You began to sing along with the song playing on your Walkman.

Of course, this would be embarrassing if anyone was watching. But you were sure they weren't. However they were.

This time it was Dustin Henderson and Micheal Wheeler, biking past with their silly little Hellfire Club shirts on.

"Nice singing Y/n."

Two big fat smirks were plastered on their faces.

Great.

That was just your luck