19. The First Trance

"Well how can we save her?!" Your voice was growing more panicked by the second. You liked Max, you didn't want her to meet the same fate your poor poor sister did.

"How am I supposed to know?" Dustin asked, throwing his arms up in the air.

"Nancy and Robin," Steve snatched up the walkie that Dustin had left on the desk,  "They'll know what to do."

"They only know when Vecna's first victim was, not how to stop him." You pointed out, making Steve lower the walkie again.

"They might." Dustin said half heartedly, glancing between Steve and Max.

Max was currently sat on her seat, completely still with her head tilted upwards. Her eyes were rapidly moving back and forth, going a bright red colour.

Dustin ran his hand through his hair out of stress, a move that was practically trademarked for Steve. The two were obviously more similar than you previously thought.

"Come on... we can't just leave her like this... what if her bones start snapping? Or her eyes might... you know.. explode." You mumbled nervously.

You didn't expect Vecna to get to your friends yet. He couldn't have your sister and your friends. He just couldn't. You wouldn't let him.

"Good point." Dustin answered, going back to shaking her. "Max. Max. Maaax."

"Max, come on." Steve raised his voice a little.

Suddenly, Max's head tilted back down and the girl sucked in a deep breath of air. She looked confused as if she couldn't fully comprehend where she was.

"Are you okay?" You looked at her, concerned.

She didn't reply. Instead she just looked at you with wide eyes. They were still red and raw but somehow more controlled.

"Max?" Steve was more confused than anything.

"What happened?" You asked, looking down to Max.

No reply.

Suddenly, Max flung back her chair, bolting upright. The chair screeched as it scraped across the office floor. You flinched, gradually backing away.

Steve raised his eyebrows and Dustin looked confused as the girl stumbled towards the door and paused in the school corridor.

Dustin followed without question but you and Steve weren't so certain.

You glanced to him as his eyes lingered over Max and Dustin. He was being a good and cautious babysitter.

"What're you thinking?" You asked, picking up a torch and shining it at his face.

"I'm thinking we probably should follow them before they get themselves into any shit. I'm also thinking that maybe you should lower your torch." He raised his hand in front of his face to spare his eyesight from the glare of your flashlight.

"Fair enough." You replied, lowering your torch and obediently following the other two. Steve walked behind you.

You found Dustin stood behind Max in the corridor. Max was staring at the wall in disbelief. She'd snapped back to reality but you knew that she found something in this reality off.

"It was right here." Max said, her eyes not leaving the small selection of bricks.

"What was right here?" A familiar voice came from around the school corridors.

Robin and Nancy were back.