17. The Drive To The School

Almost an hour later, after you'd dropped off Max outside Mrs Kelley's house, you found yourself waiting in the car with Steve and Dustin.

The two boys were arguing about something irrelevant as you daydreamed about god knows what.

You moved your gaze to stare out the window, then noticed a familiar ginger making her way out of the house.

"She's coming." You pointed out to the others, making them snap their heads around to look in her direction.

Max quickly opened the car door, climbed in then slammed the door shut behind her.

She glanced at you then glanced to the others.

"What'd she say?" Dustin casually spoke, twisting his head around to see her.

"Nothing, just drive." She said urgently.

"Wh-" Steve began but Max cut him off.

"Steve, just drive!" She ordered and Steve obediently did as he was told.

The tires screeched as the four of you sped onto the road and the radio played its usual trashy music.

"So you aren't going to tell us w-" Dustin began to speak but stopped when his radio started to bleep.

"Dustin." The voice sounded familiar, "Dustin. It's Lucas, do you copy?"

"Lucas Sinclair?" You asked, surprised. You thought that he was one of the jocks now, I mean, he did score the last goal.

Max nodded, she and Lucas used to go out but something happened between them. Ever since Billy died nothing had been right with Max, and it showed.

"Lucas." Dustin replied back into the walkie, "Where the hell have you been?"

"Just listen." Lucas sounded urgent, "Are you guys looking for Eddie?"

"Yeah and we found him no thanks to you." Dustin spat back, acting like a smart arse for no reason.

"You found him?" Lucas spoke again.

"Yeah, in a boathouse on Coal Mill road." Dustin responded, "Don't worry, he's safe."

"You guys know he killed Chrissy right?" Lucas exclaimed.

"That's bullshit." Dustin replied, "Eddie tried to save Chrissy."

"Then why do all the cops say he did it?" Lucas asked.

Max leant forward, snatching the walkie off Dustin and speaking into it, "Lucas, you're so behind it's ridiculous, okay? Just meet us at the school, we'll explain later."

"I- I can't." Lucas stuttered, "I think some real bad shit's about to go down."

"What're you talking about? What bad shit?" The radio when static, "Lucas. Lucas?"

The car went silent for a few minutes and Max gave the walkie back to Dustin.

"Uh, Max." Steve asked, "Where are we going?"

"The school?" Max said, "Isn't that obvious? I took the key to Mrs Kelley's cabinet. It should have all the files on both Chrissy and Fred."

"So we're breaking into the school now?" You asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Come on Y/n," Max grinned, "It's for a good cause."

"And if that cause is saving Hawkins from a crazy mind wizard from an alternate reality, I think it's fair enough to break a couple of rules." Dustin justified himself.

"Alright."

You smirked, staring out the window as the car cruised along the roads heading towards Hawkins High.

A/n- If anyone else here is reading the Californica part of Stranger Things 4 FanFiction and this one, can u tell me which u like better?