23. The Fail-Safe

After Robin and Nancy had explained their plan to get into the asylum, speak to Victor and save Max, you were surprised to hear that Steve wasn't involved.

"You're leaving him with us?" You joked.

"Well, he doesn't exactly give off scholar vibes, does he?" Nancy pointed out and you agreed.

"But, does she?" Steve argued, looking quite hurt actually.

"She will after I'm done with her." Nancy grinned at Robin as Robin looked back with pure fear in her eyes.

As the two of them walked up and out of the basement, Robin mouthed a quick 'help me' making you chuckle before the door shut behind them, leaving you in the basement with Steve, Dustin, Lucas and Max.

Thinking about Max, you could still hear the constant scratching noise of pen on paper, it seemed the more she wrote the louder it got. It was getting on your nerves at this point.

You shut your eyes, listening to the sound of pens turn into the sound of folding paper, turn into the sound of chairs moving, turning into the sound of Max's voice.

"I know you guys are staring at me." She said.

You opened your eyes to see Steve, Lucas and Dustin completely shocked. They awkwardly forced their gazes away from her.

"What?"

"No."

"You said you needed something?"

"What no?"

"Just handing out."

"Sorry."

"I'm not." You added, truthfully.

"Good for you, Cunningham." Steve rolled his eyes at you.

"Oh shut up." You replied before turning your attention back to Max.

"How you think your eyes boring at the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." She sighed, getting up from her chair and walking towards you with letters.

"For you,"

Max gave one to Dustin.

"For you,"

The next one was for Steve. He accepted it graciously, obviously feeling quite special.

"For you."

Max lingered on Lucas' for a bit, it was an awkward eye contact.

"And for you."

You were the last letter. You scrutinised the brown parchment, wondering what was in it.

"These other ones are for Mike, El and Will. Give them to them if you ever see them again." Max continued

You were just about to open your own when Max said, "What are you doing? Hey, no, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now."

"Don't... okay." Dustin put his away awkwardly, "What is it though?"

"A letter." You pointed out.

"Again, real helpful, Cunningham." Dustin replied before turning back to Max.

"It's um. It's a failsafe. For after.. if things don't work out." She could barely manage the words.

"Wait, whoa, Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas reassured.

"No," Max replied sternly, "I don't need you to reassure me and tell me it's all gonna work out. People have been telling me that my whole life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course this asshole curses me, I should've seen that one coming."

You didn't really know what to say to that. No one else did either.

Everyone's attention was still fixed on Max though, as she moved across the basement to pick up something. It looked like a walkie.

"If we go to East Hawkins, will this still reach Penshurst?" Max asked curiously.

"Of course." Dustin replied quickly.

"Why are we going to East Hawkins?" Steve asked, a little behind, "You want me to drive you? No. No. No."