32. The Torches

The house was dusty inside, as you'd expect. The wooden floor creaked with every step and the wallpapers we're beginning to turn yellow. Everything about the house felt wrong, but most of all, it felt cold.

Max must've felt it too as the moment she stepped through the door she shivered, pulling her coat tightly around her body.

Dustin handed out torches and instructed that you were all to explore the mansion in pairs. Max went with Lucas. Robin went with Nancy. And Dustin went with Steve.

"Y/n," Steve smiled kindly, "You're with us."

You nodded and followed after them, secretly glad to be with him.

Max and Lucas had drifted into the room beside you and Max and Robin had gone upstairs, leaving you to explore the corridor.

The three of you walked around, you were obviously third wheeling to the two best friends but you didn't mind. It was quite nice to be able to explore the mansion in your own way.

Your torch flicked over various objects around the house, but what stood out to you the most was the great grandfather clock resting at the side of the hallway.

"Uh.. Max?" You called out, making both Dustin and Steve turn around too, "Is this the clock from your visions?"

Max and Lucas came rushing out into the corridor, torches raised, ready to have a look. Max's face hardened when she saw it, she immediately nodded.

"Yep, that's the one." Her voice sounded weak.

"What do you think it means?" Lucas asked, looking at her directly.

Max gulped, "I don't know but it's gotta be counting down to something."

The lot of you stared at the clock for a while longer before Steve started to drift towards the stairs, looking up towards Nancy and Robin. Dustin didn't move, waiting with Lucas and Max. You joined them and started moving up and down the corridor again.

"Oh damn." Dustin hit his torch in annoyance, it had started flickering.

"Must be low," You explain, holding out your torch "Here, have mine."

Upon saying those words, your torch started to flicker too causing Dustin's eyes to suddenly widen.

"The lights..." Dustin mumbled, "They're moving. He's here."

You didn't know what to say, you just watched as Dustin's eyes followed the light and moved as it flickered. As he drew closer to the stairs, Max and Lucas caught onto what he was doing. They both exchanged glances before following Dustin as he moved closer.

Soon, all seven of you were following your torches around the house. You didn't fully understand where the lights were leading you but you knew it meant that something was moving in the upside down... did that mean... could it be... Vecna??

"This could be a trap." Dustin piped up, stopping as you neared the attic door, "We know he's watching us, he knows where Max is."

Everyone looked to her but she just shrugged, pushing the attic door open, "Only one way to find out."

Her torch flickered as she started to walk up the stairs that seemed even more creaky than the ones you'd already been up. It was dark in the attic and with the torch constantly flashing on and off, it was starting to get quite freaky.

The attic was relatively empty. The only thing that stood out to you was the bright white bulb flickering in the middle of the room. Your lungs tightened as you drew closer, watching the light as it pulsated.

Gradually, the seven of you raised your torches, lifting it towards the light. They throbbed along with it.

"What in the world..." You mumbled, completely in awe by it all.

And by the looks of it, the others were too.

It seemed that now you were here, the the torches began to throb more frantically and brighter than ever. You looked at it cautiously, watching as the glow rose and fell.

Suddenly, you heard the shattering of glass from beside you. Max's torch had smashed. You all looked towards her but before you could say anything, everyone else's torches began to break and shatter too.

"What's happening?" Robin's voice was shaking.

So you spoke up,

"I don't know but it can't be good."

A/n- I'm gonna write a couple more chapters for you and hopefully finish this 😁 Enjoy!

Also wondering if you'd like to end up with any of the characters if you know what I mean... ;)