Prologue

A/n: This is set three years prior to the story so everyone is about fourteen.

I had been surviving on my own for three years now. Almost four. I steal, gamble and on occasion assassinate. All for money.

I have to survive somehow.

I usually keep to myself as I have no one but business has been slow lately.

I grabbed my bag, knives and guns–you never know what you will encounter in Ketterdam–and headed for the market square. I am low on money and have quick hands plus, no one will see me stealing in such a crowded area.

I pulled my long, black hair into a bun as I walked, my emerald green eyes thoroughly scanning my environment. I was about two dozen feet away from the pavement–that marked the market square–when a boy my age burst through the crowd. He was being chased by three authorities. I could immediately tell he was a criminal.

"George!" I called, waving towards the boy.

He turned with a confused look plastered across his dark face. I ran up to him. The authorities were almost to him.

"Mom and Dad are waiting. Let's go." I tugged on his arm.

"Y-yeah! Let's go sis." He said once he caught on.

"Wait a second!" The authorities said.

"Yes?" I asked calmly.

"Empty your pockets." The man ordered the boy.

I stuffed everything in my bag quick enough that no one noticed. The boy emptied his pockets.

"Hmm." The man said. He sounded disappointed. "You're free to go."

I grabbed the boy's arm and led him into a nearby alley.

"Thanks." He said, holding out his hand to shake. "I'm Jesper by the way. Jesper Fahey."

I shook his hand.

"Elora Jones."

"Jones? Were your parents the ones killed in the fire?"

Three years ago my parents were killed in a huge dock fire. Since I was only twelve at the time I got nothing that was left to me in their wills. I was put into an orphanage which I promptly ran away from.

"Yes. They are." I answered. I got over their death a long time ago. I needed to survive.

"You wanna meet my friends?" Jesper asked.

"Sure."

Maybe I can finally make some friends.

Jesper led me to an abandoned building that had been transformed into a fairly comfortable home.

"Kaz! Inej!" Jesper called from the front door.

A boy with dark hair and gray eyes and a Suli girl with black hair and brown eyes came into the room. The boy was mine and Jesper's age. He walked with a cane and had a limp. The girl was evidently a year younger.

"Who's this Jesper?" The boy–Kaz–asked sternly.

"Elora Jones." I said.

I may tend to keep to myself but I am far from shy and meek.

"Nice to meet you, Elora." Inej said warmly.

~

Over the years the four of us became friends. We were criminals, thieves and sometimes murderers. We bonded by being orphans and needing to survive. At the age of sixteen Kaz opened the Crow Club and we moved there. The four of us became the most dangerous and wanted criminals in all of Ketterdam.

A/n: I hope this didn't suck too much. Let me know if I made any mistakes or if I am missing anything.