Chapter 1 (of season 2)

A/n: Thank you guys so much for 1.4k reads. My phone has been blowing up with notifications of you guys voting for chapters and adding the book to your reading lists. Sorry it took me so long to start writing again. I was unexpectedly busy and only just finished the show. This chapter is also nearly three times as long as usual chapters. I'm not sure if this is going to be the normal for this season's chapters, or not.

"Home sweet home." Jesper said as we neared the Crow Club.

"Straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived. Yay. That's a good sign." He continued. "I think I might celebrate with a little dice and debauchery."

"No debauchery." Kaz interrupted.

"Dice then." Jesper said, cheerful that he could still gamble.

We really were trying to keep Jes out of gambling dens, but Jes being Jes made it difficult.

"No dice. We have stops to make." Kaz stated.

"What's first? Tante Heleen?" Inej asked.

"We get to the Crow Club." Kaz answered.

——

As we turned the corner to the Crow Club, the four of us stopped in our tracks.

The sign above the door was no longer that of the Crow Club, but the green sign of Pekka Rollins.

"Where's our sign?" Jesper asked, even though none of us knew the answer. "It's been replaced."

"The Kaelish Prince? Isn't that Pekka's club?" I said.

"What sort of name is that?" Jesper expressed.

"Dime Lions." Kaz mumbled to himself.

"Pekka Rollins owns the Crow Club?" Inej asked.

"Where does that leave us?" Jesper inquired.

"My house." I said. "We could go to my childhood home. It's still in my name. I haven't sold it, or rented it, or anything."

"My suits. All my hats." Jes complained.

This was one we were going to hear about for a while.

"Split up. It's not safe." Kaz said just as the whistle of the Stadwatch blew.

As the others turned around I ducked around a wall.

I gripped the bricks with fingers and started to climb. I perched on the roof of the squat building and watched.

"Halt! You three. Hands up!" A Stadwatch officer yelled as I moved to the edge of the roof.

More officers surrounded Kaz, Jes and Inej. It was too many for me to take down, even with the shadows on my side.

I was going to wait, and watch.

"Kaz Brekker. Jesper Fahey. And Inej Ghafa. Only a matter of time before you turned up." One of the Stadwatch said smugly.

"Is there a problem?" Kaz asked.

Other than taking Inej out of Ketterdam and killing a few Ravkans we hadn't committed any crimes. Kaz was probably just as confused as the rest of us.

"For you? Yeah." The officer answered. "You're wanted for murder.

"We just got back in town." Jesper said, lowering his hands enough that the officers pointed all their guns at him. He raised them up again. "Unless it's a crime to kill Volcra."

Right. We did that too.

That wasn't a crime though. Was it?

"Very funny, gunslinger." The officer said, unenthused. "Now, slowly, hand over those shooters."