Chapter 8:

We were lying, hiding in the grass, not far out from the Fold.

Our plan was to hitch a ride through and then back to Ketterdam.

"How many are there?" Inej asked.

"Two." I answered.

"At some point, one of them will have to tell a superior what they found. We'll go in then." Kaz instructed.

"Not to be that person, Kaz, but are you sure you can drive that thing?" Jesper asked.

"Yes." Kaz responded, confidently. "On the way to Kribirsk while you were busy hugging bait-"

"Milo. The goat's name was Milo." Me and Jesper corrected at the same time.

"I was memorizing Arken's timings." Kaz finished.

"Not to gang up on you, but Jes has a point." Inej said. "Arken's system was complicated and the ride was chaotic. No one would blame you for missing a count.

"Jes?" Kaz asked, confused.

"It's Suli, for friendship." Jesper said.

"No, it's not." Me and Inej corrected him.

"Trust me, Arken and I think alike." Kaz said.

"I hope you don't act alike." I interrupted.

"You wouldn't be dating him if he was exactly like Arken." Jesper teased.

On the way here, me and Kaz had explained everything to Inej and Jesper.

"Shut up, Jes." I elbowed him in the side to shut him up.

Suddenly, there was an explosion.

"Too soon to appreciate the irony, am I right?" Jesper said.

"No, you're left." I rolled my eyes sarcastically.

——

"The skiff is still here." Inej informed.

Since our mode of transportation has blown up, we'd made our way to the nearby town and we're now in an inn.

"Travellers downstairs are complaining. They were due to cross this morning." Inej continued.

"Orders from the Black General. He plans to cross on it tomorrow." Kaz said.

"The general? Is that the same general who tried to.. oh yeah, kill us all. That one." Jesper added sarcastically.

"He has the Sun Summoner." Kaz informed.

"Was this your plan all along? To have the general get her back, so you can take her again?" I asked Kaz.

"My plan is to get us across the Fold. We aren't prepared for another fight." Kaz answered.

"So you're not going to take another run at Alina? And you're really willing to let a million Kruge go?" I raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"Jesper and I can't do it without you and Inej." Kaz looked at the two of us.

I knew I was in, but I wasn't so sure about Inej.

"Been saying that since day one." Jesper stated.

"And you've made your position perfectly clear." Kaz continued, ignoring Jesper.

"So, all you want is to cross the Fold?" Inej inquired.

Kaz nodded in affirmation. "Once we land in Novokribirsk, it's your choice what you do next."

Inej looked to Jesper, then me. She looked back at Kaz and gave a barely noticeable nod.

"Okay." She agreed.