Chapter 6:

A/n: Sorry for disappearing for a while. I've just had a hard time finding motivation to write for all my books. I will try to be more consistent with updates. Also, thank you guys for almost 400 reads! One last thing, if you guys have been getting random notifications for updates on this book, I have been going through and correcting a few misspelled words I find throughout the book (I don't edit my chapters before uploading them lol)

We finally made it to Os Alta.

Me, Jesper and Inej posing as circus performers and Kaz...

Actually, I don't know what Kaz is going to do for a cover.

We stood next to Marko's carriage while a guard went through our papers.

"This one's our invitation to perform, signed by the Queen." Marko explained to the guard.

The guard just glared at Marko before saying "This writ allows you access to the grounds, the main ballroom and nowhere else. You are being employed by the Queen. You are not her guests. You are to stay together as a group, at all times. No guns, no knives, no weapons of any kind. Punishment of violation against these rules ranges from being fired to being fired upon. Now, do we all understand these rules?"

Before we could answer another guard pulled a man out from under a carriage.

"Oh, for saints sake." The guard with us groaned.

"The Sun Summoner. I just want to see her." The man exclaimed while trying to run. He was tackled by guards.

I saw Kaz emerge in the group of guards in his disguise. We made eye contact but he quickly looked away.

"Do we really need the entire corps for one man?" A guard from the crowd asked.

Some guards dragged the man away.

"The rest of you, post up, now!" The same guard ordered.

We got in the carriage and headed for the palace.

Once the carriage had stopped, Kaz came and knocked on the door. I hopped out and he handed me a guards uniform.

Once I was changed me and Kaz walked into the palace.

"Here's the plan. We'll walk the route our target will take to the ballroom from the dinner event and look for an ambush point." Kaz explained. as we walked down the marble halls.

"Got it." I responded.

Kaz suddenly stopped and leaned on the wall, holding his leg.

I lightly touched his forearm with my hand. "Kaz, are you alright?" I asked worriedly.

"I'm fine." He said through gritted teeth.

"No you are not. You can't walk." I said.

"I'm. Fine." He insisted.

I still don't believe him but there's no point in arguing with him.

He stood up and continued walking.

I stayed closer to him this time, I didn't trust that he could walk on his own.

We stopped at a blank wall. The hidden door.

Kaz traced the doorframe with his gloved fingers and tried opening it.

Footsteps sounded down the hallway.

"Kaz, we have to go." I exclaimed.

He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into a dark, unlocked room. I stumbled, making my shoes clack on the floor.

"Shh." Kaz hushed.

He pulled me closer to him so I wouldn't be seen from behind the door.

A Fabrikator and two servants approached the hidden door.