Chapter 3:

A/n: Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been busy with school and sick (I still am). I will try and make up for all the time I missed.

Back at the Crow Club, Kaz had gone upstairs while me, Jesper and Inej were left in the foyer.

"What is he thinking?" Jesper asked.

"He wasn't." I responded. "He refuses to give Pekka Rollins anything so he had to accept it."

"I for one wish he didn't." Jesper sighed as he made his way upstairs.

"Well, we better go pack." Inej stated.

I went upstairs, but not to pack.

"What was that? Hmm? You want to tell me?" I asked as I walked into Kaz's room.

"Be more specific." He replied.

"Ugh!" I groaned. "It was one thing when we had a week to cross the Fold. But sunrise? We have to say no."

"No."

"'No' to the job then?"

"'No' to saying 'no'."

"We can't go!" I practically yelled.

"Can't we?" Kaz asked smugly.

"You can't let your revenge cloud your vision!"

"Yes I can."

"I can't go. Inej can't go." I said hoping this would make him see the reason.

Inej was owned by the Menagerie and I was wanted by them. They have been trying to kidnap me since I was twelve. They would surely get me if I tried to leave Kerch.

"I will. I have a plan." Kaz said reassuringly.

"No, you don't."

"Elora!"

"I know by now when you're still figuring things out. You don't know how to pull off this job."

"I still have six hours and right now, you aren't helping."

"Maybe you crack a way across but that doesn't solve this problem!" I yelled.

"If I can't crack this one, no one's going!" Kaz yelled.

"If you do?" I asked.

"Then maybe you stay here!" He yelled.

I looked at him in shock, at the anger etched in his face.

"Maybe I won't be here when you get back." I said as I left the room.

"Elora! Elora!" He called but I didn't answer, just kept walking.

Tears fell down my cheeks as I walked along the lamplit streets of Ketterdam.

It felt like I had a pit in my stomach.

Maybe I should go back. I thought.

I wiped away my tears and walked hesitantly back towards the Crow Club.

"He doesn't have a way across the Fold and we both know it." Inej said as I sat down next to Jesper and Inej.

"I bet he'll figure it out." Jesper tried to say reassuringly. "Come on, take that bet. Bolliger won't play with me anymore, so..."

A bartender put drinks in front of me and Inej. We both drank them.

"Thank you." Jesper said.

"He's obsessed with taking down Pekka Rollins." I said.

"Well, of course he's obsessed with the one villain in town who's paid off the stadwatch to get away with murder." He paused. "Thanks. Another one, Joe."