Chapter 2

Me and Inej walked into a small restaurant that specialized in breakfast, but also sold other foods.

We looked around at the booths until we saw Jesper.

The two of us walked over to the booth he was sitting in and sat down. I slid in and sat next to Jes and Inej sat across from us.

"Started to wonder if I had the wrong time, or place." Jesper said as I snatched a scone off the plate in front of him.

"This is where Kaz left word to meet." Inej responded. "So you know. It's worse today."

"Worse how? We had to sleep in that novice's floor." Jesper stated.

"Wylan's floor." I corrected.

"Whoever's floor it was, this body deserves a proper bed."

"Word is we also killed a constable." Inej said, ignoring Jesper's very Jesper comment.

"What? I have so many questions." Jes exclaimed.

"Me too." I managed through a mouthful of scone.

"How? Why? When? Where? I guess...Yeah, I guess that's all of them." He listed off all his questions.

"Last night, after you escaped from the wagon. Constable Sem was his name. Shot with his own weapon. Stadwatch are shaking down every informant they know." Inej informed is on what she'd learned, although I'd already known all of that.

"I would never shoot someone with their own gun. Besides, it's not even a good frame-up." Jes put in.

"Kaz would. Under the right circumstances, but he was with us most of the night and the constable was not murdered during the times he wasn't." I said.

"Have you seen him today?" Jes asked.

"Avoiding questions I suspect." Inej answered.

"Yeah, from the three of us."

"Have you seen him, El?"

"I saw him leave the workshop early this morning, but I didn't follow him. I don't know where he went." I replied.

"Blowing up the Crow Club..." Jesper said in awe.

"That was a bit much. Even for Kaz." I put in.

"Makes you wonder what else he is willing to destroy." Inej stated.

I stared down at my hands. My fingers still sugary from the scone.

Me and Kaz had barely talked since we got back and the thing he said to me was to leave Ketterdam.

I wasn't really sure what our relationship status was after the night by the fire, but considering Kaz wanted to tell the others about it I would have thought it was more than what it's seemed since we got back.

Kaz walked up to the table, sitting next to me. Nina and Wylan hadn't been far behind him and sat next to Inej.

"Sure you weren't followed?" Kaz asked us.

"Always." I said.

"Ooh. Is this place still serving breakfast?" Nina asked as she sat down across from Kaz.

"Jes has a question to ask you." Inej told Kaz.

Jesper gave me and Inej the "Are you serious?" look.

I gave him a cheeky grin as Kaz slowly turned his attention to Jesper.

"Look, a lot has happened since last night. We found out we lost our home,  and then you blew it up just to piss off Pekka Rollins." Jes stated, shooting Wylan a glare as he said he last part.