06.

::

The room was wide, elegant and uncomfortable. Ari didn't have to turn her neck to feel the Crown Prince staring daggers at her from the room opposite. The large glass windows gave an uneasy disadvantage and going over to close the curtains would only lead to making direct eye contact. Since the Crown Prince understood politics, there was no point in playing subtly. She had to face him head-on.

Finding some stationery in her small study, she wrote away onto the paper as her handsome neighbour wondered what she was up to. Preparing her first act as the Crown Candidate? Issuing a new order that would put him at a disadvantage? Seungcheol kept his eye on Ari, curious about the kind of creature he was to compete against.

Carefully keeping the ink pen down, Ari looked at her terrific calligraphy and grabbed onto a piece of tape. Ari finally turned to meet his eyes, walking forward, a hand on the glass as she taped her sheet of paper.

He didn't get it the first time on. Squinting his eyes to read the letters of the page one by one, Seungcheol put two and two together as he muttered to himself out loud, "If you want to see me naked, just ask. Don't stare through the window-?!" Ari watched his ears turn red as fast as lightning, "Yah!" He screamed to himself, turning away and closing curtains in the process of it.

Ari couldn't help but laugh. The soft pink colour of his cheeks was almost adorable.

::

Ari peeked outside her door, hoping to spot someone. Hours had passed since she'd first stepped into the room yet there was no one at service. Where was the food? What was she to do next? Mr Emerson had promised that her every need would be met with a simple call. But to call who?

She had already spent the time catching up on on the weeks of classes Ari had missed. Her classmates did not know of her appointment as Crown Candidate and had instead happily shared all notes and writings in sympathy of her father's bereavement. Sorting through books, notes and assignments had taken time but eventually, the stomach had spoken.

Ari ruffled around the room for some code or number of contact. The hallway was dark with no one in sight. Spotting a card with numbers, she punched in one at the landline, "Hello?"

"You've now reached the kitchen." A voice from the other end echoed, "How may I help you?"

"Uh," Ari struggled to explain, "Hi, I've moved into the Royal Residence today. Can you please explain how the meals here work?"

The recipient on the other end did not seem to recognise her immediately, "In-house Chef Kang personally curates all Royal meals. If you tell me your name and station of work, we will deliver the meal immediately. Personal and staff meals are given out at the main kitchen hall. If you're a staff member please collect it from there."

"Please connect me to Chef Kang then." Ari pressed, frowning. She glanced at the clock and how it was well past dinnertime, "If he is to curate my meal, it has yet to reach me."

"Yes?" She seemed confused for a good second. The only royals she had been familiar with were male. If a woman claiming to be a Royal had called, "Your highness, my heartiest apologies, I will connect you right away," Ari heard quick ruffling on the other end and rushed steps grew clearer until a man's voice came into view, "Your highness, this is Head Chef Kang. How may I serve you?"

Ari sighed. Did no one realise that she needed to be fed too? "My meals, Chef."

"I offer my utmost apologies for starving the lady like this." His voice was urgent, "I will serve you immediately!"

And in that hurry, he cut the call. Ari stared at the ceiling as she sat down on the ground outside the door, famished with no idea what to do next. She'd hoped someone would tell her how it worked but there was no one in sight. It wasn't as if she could wander wherever she pleased. Yet in this huge mansion, not one person roamed, not one. Ari was beginning to suspect foul play. Was she being left alone on purpose? There was no one.