47.

::

"...to serve the Queen well."

Jeonghan's face darkened at the words. He had merely been suspicious before but Seungcheol's actions proved his mind. He momentarily glanced at Ari blushing by the cheeks, no more ecstatic than a schoolgirl in love.

What could he possibly trust her with? Ari was a formidable competitor. Calculative. Smart. Informed. Ari had figured out the benefits of the situation before Jeonghan could begin. Sooner than later, the Princess was sure to take tentative steps toward obtaining her goal. Doing so, she would sweep away everything, and uproot the deepest of Seungcheol's supports.

But would her list of priorities include him? Jeonghan who had grown from the son of a simple office worker to the Head Assistant of the First Prince of Korea contemplated his choices wisely. He had once chosen Seungcheol and swore his life to him a long time ago. Sure, it was the First Prince that had granted him the position but it was his loyalty that had stirred the waters.

Seungcheol had been the promising Crown Prince then. Young and naive Seungcheol had dreamt of ways to improve the Kingdom he loved; and painted stories like a game. To the star-struck Jeonghan, Seungcheol was a beacon of hope and growth in the horrifyingly unfair world he experienced. The Prince had assured him then, that his ship would sail, that the waters to sailing into success were worth perishing together.

And now his boat was sinking.

As Ari walked past the large black door, Jeonghan's assessment fell into shambles. Suspicions clouding into serious doubt, the First Prince's assistant followed her in. To clear the fog in his head, Jeonghan decided to observe and renew a new judgment.

If his Captain was going to hand over his ship to the pirate so easily, Jeonghan would have to find a lifeboat of his own.

::

Not soon after, the long-awaited Winter Dinner arrived. Guests from the Kingdom and abroad appeared one after another, getting off their expensive cars that were later rolled around to the back. The party was at the main hall, rarely opened. Saved for memorable events such as this one, a whiff of excitement filled the atmosphere and chatter echoed in the vast ballroom.

Ari breathed in an air of tension. What marked an evening of frivolities for the rest was her playground tonight. In a position where all was visible, Ari's eyes slowed down on him. The sleek tuxedo on his back and slicked-back hair oozed his position. Choi Seungcheol was a handsome Prince and he looked very much like one. So much so that Ari was tempted to run down and gobble him up before anyone could lay eyes on him.

 So much so that Ari was tempted to run down and gobble him up before anyone could lay eyes on him

But Alas! Ari held herself back. Her boyfriend's stunning visuals should not be hidden so easily. How could she possibly hide the sun from the world? Instead, Ari watched with bated breath as turn by turn, many beauties were introduced to a polite Seungcheol. The Prince was surrounded by bashful ladies very early in the night and Mr Anderson continued to present him to every breathing female.