001

027 

I signed up for experiments at Hawkin's lab 3 and a half years ago. This was when I was a dumb 19-year old and I wanted the extra money. Little did I know that a pattern would set in, where they would beckon me to stay one night, which turned into 2, then 10, then 40, then 376, then 730, then now, 1277. 

I tried to politely leave, however they locked their doors and put me in restraints. They referred to us with numbers. I was 027. I didn't really know why, but they didn't bother to call me by my real name. Y/n. They put a label on me and made me nothing but a lab rat. 

It took me one year to find out that they experimented on children as well. I spent my free time in a room, alone. I called it, "The white room." The white room was plain and full with boxy furniture, not the cozy kind you would put in a home, but rather the one's you would put in an asylum. 

I was the only one there, since I was the only adult left. All of the other people who were there died from the experiments. 

From a young age I had always been different from the people around me. When I was angry and made contact with objects they would either become incredibly hot or catch on fire. Sometimes even objects that weren't in my touch caught on fire. 

As a teenager, I could never cook for myself. My food would always catch on fire while I was cooking it. I didn't know why I could boil water without a stove, or start a campfire with just a blink of an eye, but I assumed that these abilities were why I survived the experiments. 

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard the door swing open. "Come with me." The man with wavy, neat, blonde hair and blue doe eyes says to me. I stand up walking over to him. He offered me a hand, which I gently took. 

We walked down the eerie hallways, "How have you been doing twenty-seven?" He asked. 

"Fine." I answered with my head down, "You know my real name is Y/n." 

"I'm afraid if I called you that it wouldn't be professional." I pursed my lips. 

"Of course." I rolled my eyes and scoffed. We stopped walking when we got to a door, the man knocked and seconds after, the door opened. 

Brenner stood there and looked at him, before his eyes captured mine and he smiled. "Hello twenty-seven, come on in." This office room was familiar to my eyes, I went in there at least once a week for check-ups. 

I took a seat on the chair, twisting my head and looking back to see where the man went. He went near the door and stood there, guarding it. 

"So." Brenner clasped his hands, "You've been taking your medication, correct?" I stared off into space.

"The medication makes you healthy, twenty-seven, it's an essential." 

I looked back at him. "Yeah." 

"Excellent." The doctor clicks his pen jotting down a few notes. "Any changes in sleep, appetite, energy level, concentration, daily behavior, or self esteem?" 

"Can I make a request doc?" I sat up in my chair. "Can I maybe... see the outside?"

He raised his eyebrows. "That wasn't my question." 

"Answer mine and I'll answer yours." My voice shook as I spoke. 

He gulped, pursing his lips. "Unfortunately not." 

"Why?" 

"Twenty-seven we made a deal, I answer your question so you'll answer mine." 

I stood up grabbing the paper in front of him, crumbling it and ripping it. "Why? It's been three years, can you just let me see the Sun?" 

"Calm do-" 

"No!" 

"This isn't professional." He tries to remain calm. 

"Professional... You know what's not professional? You trapping me here for seven years." This place didn't have a single window. All there were were those un-comforting hospital lights. My skin had became a shade lighter, my face similar to a dead person's. 

I could feel the two security guards approach me from behind, one grabbed my right arm, the other one my left. I could feel their gloves on their hands, to keep them from burning. I raised my hand, grabbing one of the men's faces. His grip immediately loosened on me as he let out a scream. 

I heard an electric buzz, the man had the stick in his hand, he brought it forward, threatening me. It got closer to me and just as it was about to touch my skin, I heard a shout. 

"Wait!" I turned around, the man who had guided me into this room held his hands up to the guard, stopping him. "It was me. I got told her she could go outside." 

My head tilted, why the hell would he say that? That's not true. It came to my realization soon that he said that so I didn't get my ass busted. The room was silent, the attention was now drawn to him. 

Brenner looked at the man, before shaking his head. "Is that true?" He turned towards me. I looked at the man, my eyebrows now furrowed. My e/c eyes now seeming to be lost in confusion and sorrow. 

"I... uh." We made eye contact. I saw him mouth, "It's okay." 

Hesitantly, I put my head down, nodding slowly. "Disappointing." The doctor says. "Take him." 

The guards walked over to him, grabbing him roughly and walking out the door. 

"Im very sorry about that Y/n." Brenner takes his seat once again. "Whatever that man is telling you, it is unfortunately, not true."

I sat back down, my brain still capturing what just happened. That man.. he had just protected me. 

"Now.. where were we..?" The doctor picked the paper work back up, un-crumbling it. "Any signs of depression." 

Now thinking about it, he was most likely taking a beating now, just for me? I had barely even known him, why would he risk that for me? So many questions raced through my mind. Just.. why? Why would he do that for me?  

"Twenty-seven?" 

"No. No signs." 

The appointment went on like normal, when I was excused to go back to my room and go to sleep, I still thought about the man's actions, still in utter confusion. I mostly just thought about the man, the kindness he had showed me when I didn't even know him that well. Maybe he knew.. me?