005

I slowly walked through the halls, trying to make up time. I felt that if I had just sat on my bed it would be easier for that thing to get me. Plus, I was much too petrified to sleep. 

I heard rustling in the distance and a door opened. I turned on my heels to see what was going on. Peter had been dragged out of the room, he didn't see me and none of the guards dragging him seemed to care about my presence. It kind of looked like.. he had just been punished. 

I sat at the table in the white room, my arms folded. I tied my hair back into a low ponytail. My eyes were heavy, it felt like my head was a weight. I struggled to keep it up. 

My head went down and my eyes closed. My mind cleared allowing me to finally rest, but not for long. 

"Y/n? Y/n?" My head shot up and my eyes widened letting a sharp breathe in. I looked at the person in front of me, it was just Peter.  "Are you tired? When did you go to sleep?" 

I shook my head. "I didn't." 

"Hm. That explains why you fell asleep here." 

I squint my eyes at him, giving him a nasty glare. I was moody from the lack of sleep. However, his lips just curved upwards, he looked down and chuckled a bit. "You're cute when you're angry." 

My eyebrows went up again, shocked by his comment. I shook the thoughts out of my head, "What were you going to tell me? How'd they know my mother?" 

"Well.. you talk in your sleep. You said her name." 

"How would you know I said her name?" 

"I was there. I was the one who was supposed to make sure you took the medication. However, they don't trust me anymore." He drummed his fingers on his arm. "When you said her name, they tracked her down. And that's where they got the voice." 

"The voice was fake though, right? It was all just an illusion." 

Peter tilted his head, "Not quite. They broke into her house. The voice- it was a recording of her real cries for help." He whispered the last part. 

I put my clasped my hands together, putting them over my mouth, trying to forget what I just heard. "They hurt you, didn't they? After you pulled me out." 

Peter slowly nodded his head. 

"Why?" 

"You weren't meant to be pulled out so early. And you weren't meant to take off the earrings. I disrupted their project."

If he had disrupted their project and they need more records... then does that mean they're going to make me go back to that place? "I don't want to go back. Ever." 

"You're scared."

"That place- it's cold. And empty. And dead. And you're not there to help me. There was also something else I saw.." 

"And what was it?" 

"It was almost human, but it wasn't. It had these claws and it- at first it looked like it had no face. But it opened up. It almost got me." My voice shook. 

"You don't have to be scared of that place. You're the opposite of it. Your abilities counter it. You're its weakness." 

"Huh?" 

"Fire is the source to life. Fire is hot. The place is dead and cold. I've seen their experiments as well, those things in it- they don't react well to it." 

I remained silent. I shifted my thoughts, I didn't want to think about that place. It scared me more than anything to be alone. If I did the same thing I did last time and not take the drugs, then I would go behind their backs and see what else is in this lab. 

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing." I sit up. "I'm going to my room. Bye." I say carelessly, I felt his eyes follow me as I left the room. 

I checked the time, it was around ten. I thought about my plan and worked it out in my head. I wasn't really book smart, but I was street smart. The plan seemed to make sense to me. 

I checked the time again, I had lost track of it. It was now 10:01. Shit. I rushed to grab one single pill and throw it in the drain of the sink, before quickly throwing the cover over myself and pretending to be asleep. 

The men came in the room, doing the same things they did last time. They counted the pills, checked I was asleep, carried me down the stairs, and placed me in a room full with people. 

This is where my nerves set in, I didn't want to go through the same procedures again. However, I was unfortunately forced to. The doctors did their small talk then proceeded to put me in the tank. Gosh I hate them so much. 

The memory they played back this time was a recent one. I saw that thing again. It's grey skin, sharp teeth, cold touch. It made me panic. I felt the bubbles rise in the water from the heat. 

I tried to keep my eyes open for the longest time, flashing in and out of the memory. I began to thrash through the water, my heart rate getting higher. I couldn't hear anything from the outside, but I was pulled out of the water in a rush. 

Doctors surrounded me, checking my pulse and heart rate. I could hear the beep of the monitor, at first it had been fast, but it slowed.

"We're done for the night." It was Brenner's voice. 

"But sir-" 

"No, she almost went into cardiac arrest I won't allow it." He says firmly. Was he protecting me? Ew. 

The men picked me up again, climbing up the stairs then placing me down on the bed. Except this time I didn't continue to pretend to be asleep, I murmured something. 

"Joe.. joe!" One of the guards say. 

"What?!" 

"I think.. she's saying something." 

Both of the guards got close to me to listen then- 

Bang